Notices

Advice needed on turbo and clutch fitting!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 10:41 PM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Advice needed on turbo and clutch fitting!!

hi all, will be fitting a new clutch and turbo to my93wrx very soon and hoped someone could tell me the right way to go about it?!! any info greatly appeciated or any links to sites with info and pictures would be great.
cheers pete.
Old 16 April 2004, 05:32 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Here you go fella. Did mine back in March.

Hi.
Done mine 5 weeks ago. U will need a jack for the front off the engine , as when gearbox is off, engine is front heavy. You will need to remove bottom ball joints to remove front drive shafts. Driveshafts are removed by knocking out roller pins. Get car off the ground on Axle stands as high as possible. Looking at top off engine, only thing off there is the is intercooler to be removed and slave cylinder and off course starter and battery connection, plus electrical plugs for reverse lights etc. When you remove the starter, theres a blank on the end of the cross shaft for the clutch arm. You need to undou that and get a bolt to screw in to withdraw the shaft. IT WONT PART UNLESS YOU REMOVE THIS SHAFT as clutch fork pivots on this inside bell housing. Suggest you drain oil out of gearbox to, We did, just incase it leaks out when you remove propshaft. Underneath its a case of Zorst centre section off, propshaft. Leave downpipe on. Gearbox is held on by 4 bolts (2 are studs at the bottom ). Suggest you undou nuts on the studs till nearly the end off studs and put another nut on and tighten to lock the nuts on . Then unscew studs out.Its alot easier with studs out, but one nearest the downpipe can be arsy. If you only can get the one out it will help you. If you can borrow a clutch alignment tool that will help to. Be warned

1, The gearbox in HEAVY. So trolley jack will help.

2, Guarantee gearbox will not want to part from Engine very easy, so patience is required.
3, Theres dowls that are on Engine and gearbox, when removed get some emmery cloth and polish them and apply copperslip to them when you go to put it back together.
4, Thrust bearing replacment is a case off , putting it on the carrier in bell housing, insert fork, and cross shaft. offer gearbox up to engine and tighten it nearly all up, say leaving 25 thou gap all around bell housing. When you have it like that, apply a sharp tap to part of fork (backwards towards the bulkhead)that sticks out of the top off the gearbox. U will hear it go click as thrust bearing engages pressure plate

IF YOUR STUCK e mail me as per my profile and ill send u my mobile number, or i can call you.
Old 16 April 2004, 09:32 AM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

cheers mate . i will have use of a garage ramp so i'm wondering how to support the front of the engine when removing the gearbox?