Notices

Loss Of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2004, 12:47 PM
RDS1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loss Of Power

Hi all,i purchased a my98 uk turbo about a month ago,it has a H & S fully decated exhaust from the turbo back,and also an itg panel filter.I thought it would be a good idea to perform an ecu reset to make sure it was running properly as the above mods were already fitted to the car when i bought it.After performing the ecu reset it flagged up a problem with the oxygen sensor(lambda sensor),and after further investigation i found that the sensor was not connected up electrically,i re-connected the sensor and performed another ecu reset,which then cleared the fault,but ever since then the car has seemed to have had a loss of power,the turbo still kicks in at around 3000rpm but it does not seem anywhere as fierce as it was before,and so consequently does not seem to pull anywhere near as fast as before.can anybody help me as this is really p***ing me off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2004, 02:29 PM
RDS1
Scooby Regular

can nobody help me,i am desperate !!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2004, 02:37 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could well be a misreading Lambda sensor then.

Or could,which i found out recently, be the ecu simply re-learning the ign advance map which can make it feel down on power.

You will probably get more answers during the week-dont tend to get the more knowledgable members answering at the weekends.

easy
Old 04 April 2004, 08:23 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

If its sluggish on boost, then the lambda isnt used, so more likely to be a MAF fault. Although they fail a lot less on MY98's... However, you do have a nasty ITG filter. I suggest you do a search on these, as they are not good.

I would order up a K&N panel, or Green Cotton panel, and you will also be shocked at the mess in the airbox and over the MAF sensor. You might be lucky and just get away with cleaning the gunk off it - very gently.

As said, see if it clears up after a week.

MB
Old 04 April 2004, 08:41 PM
RDS1
Scooby Regular

Dark Blue Mark,how do you clean the maf sensor ?
Old 04 April 2004, 09:01 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The maf lives just down from the air box. Its a cylindrical shiny tube that houses it, and has a 3 wire connector going into it.

Remove the whole air box, and disconnect the MAF housing from it. Clean the insides out with a cloth, with no dust on it! Id use a cotton bud with some brake cleaner, on it, on the MAF. Be warned, these are VERY delecate, so be very gentle with it.

Also clean the airbox gunk out. It will be messy in there. And as said, use a better fitler.

MB