Notices

samco y piece for MY03 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 07:36 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question samco y piece for MY03 WRX?

Is there a noticable or any benefit at all from replacing the stock y piece on my wrx with a Samco affair??

I recently took my ECU to Power Engineering for a TEK 2 upgrade. I got the higher of the two boost settings they offered.

my mods include:

magnex decat uppipe
scoobysport decat downpipe
scoobysport decat twin centre
remus backbox
green panel filter
TEK 2
Old 04 March 2004, 09:05 PM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

Would recomend it, the original doesnt handle higher boosts for too long apparently.
Spooks
Old 04 March 2004, 09:10 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Been running 1.5 bar on my car for a while & 1.35 prior to that on standard y piece on my 01 WRX.....No leaks from it yet.
Old 05 March 2004, 08:57 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

the reason why I am asking is becuse prodrive have included it in their lesser setup namely the WRX 03 PPP. They must perceive some benefit from replacing the stock part
Old 05 March 2004, 02:28 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Are you kidding for £2000 you get to see absolutley nothing on the car for your money, though as soon as you open the bonnet there it is a blue bit of pipe with the prodrive label.

At meets in 2001 people were proud of that blue bit of piping; you became a god over night! People knew your car had been tinkered with........

They were the days....
Old 07 March 2004, 01:32 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

I have one of these two sell if you want to make me a reasonable offer. It was on my MY02 WRX for about 3K miles, until I changed the intercooler for an STI8 one, which comes with it's own reinforced red piping.....
Old 07 March 2004, 09:23 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveR
I have one of these two sell if you want to make me a reasonable offer. It was on my MY02 WRX for about 3K miles, until I changed the intercooler for an STI8 one, which comes with it's own reinforced red piping.....
Dave,
How did you find your car after you fitted the STi intercooler? Got one coming for my WRX and just wanted to know if you felt any difference?

Cheers

Nick

Last edited by NickAdams; 07 March 2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08 March 2004, 09:58 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Hi Nick,

if I am totally honest I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not --> the reason being I didn't fit this mod in isolation, it went onto the car on the same day as a Scoobysport uppipe, and a EcuTek3 remap so the difference was enormous but I can't fairly attribute it to the I/C

having said that, various mapping experts have assured me that more cool air = better performance possible, and that I needed to remap to make the best use of the air provided.....

btw, when you fit the I/C, make sure to take off your strut brace first, if you have one fitted. You can replace it afterwards but it's hellish work trying to squeeze the I/C on otherwise....