Notices

Easy route to Anti Lag

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2004, 01:10 PM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Easy route to Anti Lag

Whats the easiest and "cheapest" way to achieve a antilag system......ie, does it require GEMS/MOTEC or can it be acheived some other way..???
Old 25 February 2004, 03:12 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remove your dumpvalve, though your turbo wont last long
Old 25 February 2004, 03:17 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

try the omex system,,i have been told gems use omex but put there name to it.

£910 all in i think,,

http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/index.html
Old 25 February 2004, 03:23 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy McCord
Only if it's one of those fragile little IHI jobbies, TD05s should happily live without one.

Andrew...
Old 25 February 2004, 03:46 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

try the omex system,,i have been told gems use omex but put there name to it.
That's not quite correct, it's the other way round. GEMS sold off some of their low-end stuff to Omex.

Andy, removing your dumpvalve certainly reduces the lag experienced on a quick lift/reapplication of throttle, but it is not quite the same as a true anti-lag (i.e. turbo kicker) system, which maintains turbo operating speed.

All that said, dumpvalve removal is by far the most practical option. There's no need for a proper anti-lag system on a roadcar IMO.
Old 25 February 2004, 03:54 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

...you could always remove the turbo. Normally aspirated engines don't suffer from lag...
Old 25 February 2004, 03:55 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Wink

how about an EGR valve rigged to allow air into the exhaust system only on throttle lift-off, plenty of heat and fuel.... alll you need is oxygen! true all you're gettin is the bang not the true antilag effect... but what the hell!

Owain [already working on this]

Old 25 February 2004, 04:08 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Normally aspirated engines don't suffer from lag...
Yeah they do... infinate lag
Old 25 February 2004, 04:24 PM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

I have nothing against the lag in my scooby, I quite enjoy the kick when the turbo does come in....

Am pretty sure taking the dump valve off will not quite be the same as an anit-lag system. Am certain that the way the GEMS/MOTEC ecu works is to through raw fuel into the engine as it's on it's exhaust cycle where this raw fuel then ignites in the turbo (turbo being red hot etc...) causing a "miny" explosion within and in the process generating enough pressure to keep the turbo "spinning". Some out there is probably going to prove me wrong......

The thing is, I'm obsessed with the pops and bangs that are generated when the anit-lag is switched on. Was thinking maybe there's a way of doing this with out replacing the standard ECU.
Old 25 February 2004, 04:30 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Am pretty sure taking the dump valve off will not quite be the same as an anit-lag system.
It gets you a big part of the way there. If your interest is in actually improving the driveability of your car rather than having it make silly noises it's probably all you need.

If you did have a proper GEMS/MoTeC/Link ALS implementation installed, you'd almost certainly find the mapper blanking the DV off, BTW...

You're along the right lines with how ALS works, although there's a lot more to it than that, primarily regarding the ignition timing and using the idle speed control valve or a throttle kicker to keep the air going through the engine.

The thing is, I'm obsessed with the pops and bangs that are generated when the anit-lag is switched on. Was thinking maybe there's a way of doing this with out replacing the standard ECU
Not without mucking about with the way the engine runs.

If all you're concerned about is the noise rather than the performance benefits of ALS, you'll get some popping/banging if you run a full decat and an unrestrictive exhaust system, as the standard ECU overfuels on lift-off and the exhaust will make this easier to hear. Running an atmospheric dumpvalve will increase the amount of overfuel, and thus increase the amount of noise.

The other thing you should bear in mind is the more of this sort of noise your car makes, the more chance you stand of being pulled over by the Fuzz. It doesn't matter how obsessed you are, at end of day you'll look a bit of a twonk if you're sat in a queue of traffic with your car farting a couple of times a second.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 25 February 2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 27 February 2004, 08:37 AM
GariYaRally
Scooby Regular

Am currently running the car with a full decat. Good pops and bangs but not as loud as say MOTEC.

Am a little familiar with how MOTEC runs, have it installed on Rally cars over in Kenya. Was hoping to get that "rally car" feeling with my road car.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I think I'll have to start saving up for a MOTEC/GEMS etc installation. The thing is, I've done almost everything mechanically that I can to the car and now reckon the way forward will now be for a ECU replacement.
Old 27 February 2004, 10:54 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy McCord
ehh>??
Old 27 February 2004, 01:45 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Hey Gary

I am running a group buy on the GEMS ECU with Mapping by Steve Simpson it also features Anti Lag dual fuel maps and Launch control where available.

Strange how everybody seems not to like the Pops and Bangs and yet the people with it love it to bits. I personally cant see the point in the intended use of antilag on road cars but the effects are fantastic and aslong as you use it sensibly then you shouldnt have any problems with the fuzz or the turbo.

Also with GEMs the severity of the ALS can be mapped so it doesnt damage your turbo so much. Probably the same with Motech.
Old 27 February 2004, 08:48 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I use a TD05/06 20G, And i can tell you that anti lag is worth it on the road, even just going up through the gears you can feel a hell of a lot more urgency, less lag than even a TD04 (which is pretty much nothing).

I would list is as one of the most important things to have if you are using a large turbo.

I say this as someone who didn't think it would make too much difference, if it wasn't included in the ecu i wouldn't have bothered, just thought i'd like it to pop and bang a bit too.

The anti lag is set quite mild on my car, i also have a atmospheric DV, whether on or blanked the difference is not really noticable.

Dave
Old 27 February 2004, 08:53 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

I have mild ALS and its great!! Pops and bangs like a good un!