Hesitation - Again

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 06:56 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hesitation - Again

Yes sorry that old chestnut I know.

I have tried searching through prev posts but can't find a great deal which refers to Classics with the hesitation problem ?? Its a MY00Uk Turbo with PPP

Anyway I have recently done the following in order : Fitted Decat D/Pipe (magnex Twin Dump), changed oil (put in 4.5 litres now on the top mark on dipstick), changed plugs (use Iridium NGK 6's) and have finally fitted an afterburner Vortex Back Box. Apart from the decat everything was performed last week. Car originally went like a rocket but this week (with daily use) I am finding that it is begining to hesitate from 2-3K rpm, getting worst day by day. Once 3K is reached she boosts but the engine seems to be making a bit more noise than usual and the boost does not feel that strong ? I have removed the Boost Control Solenoid and pipes and cleaned them through with brake cleaner. I used the ECU mad cow mode but having sprayed brake cleaner through the BCS I found that having turned off the ignition the bloody thing wouldn't stop clicking. The only way to stop it was to disconnect it. However when I reconnected it it it still clicked away (with the ignition still off). Eventually it stopped. Last night I performed an ECU reset and took the car out for a spirited drive. Tank of Optimax this morning again still fine but tonight when driving home from work could feel the slight hesitation again at around 2.5rpm (its done 25 miles since the reset). I am intending to clean the pipework this weekend again - however have I got a screwed BCS ? Any other ideas - have I used the wrong plugs ? is there anything else I can try and clean - restrictor ? Map Sensor ?

Any ideas would be very welcome cos I am getting rather frustrated with the problem ?

Cheers in advance.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:04 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

any ecu fault codes show up when u connected the plugs to clean the boost seleonoid

Last edited by cong; 19 February 2004 at 08:05 PM.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:07 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I have tried searching through prev posts but can't find a great deal which refers to Classics with the hesitation problem ?? Its a MY00Uk Turbo with PPP
The archetypal "hesitation" problem with the MY00 cars only affected the regular AE802/782 ECU, not the PPP one, so whatever's going on with yours is something else.

Anyway I have recently done the following in order : Fitted Decat D/Pipe (magnex Twin Dump)
This could be causing overboost. Do you have a boost gauge fitted to check this?

changed oil (put in 4.5 litres now on the top mark on dipstick)
Top mark? You mean the top hole or the notch, and hot or cold engine? Did you also change the filter (and if so did you count the amount of oil you pre-filled it with as part of the 4.5 litres)?

changed plugs (use Iridium NGK 6's)
You mean IFR6D's? Did you gap them correctly (0.7-0.8mm)?

Apart from the decat everything was performed last week.
How long ago was the downpipe fitted?

Once 3K is reached she boosts but the engine seems to be making a bit more noise than usual and the boost does not feel that strong ?
Can you describe the noise? Again, do you have a boost gauge to quantify whether the boost pressure really has dropped?

I used the ECU mad cow mode
Eh? You mean Test Mode (connecting the green plugs together)?

but having sprayed brake cleaner through the BCS I found that having turned off the ignition the bloody thing wouldn't stop clicking. The only way to stop it was to disconnect it. However when I reconnected it it it still clicked away (with the ignition still off).
Something funny there, should stop cycling as soon as you turn the ignition off.

I am intending to clean the pipework this weekend again - however have I got a screwed BCS ?
Unlikely, if it clicks as it should when in test mode. Depending on what you meant by the "top mark" on the dipstick, it could still be oil getting into the solenoid.

Any other ideas - have I used the wrong plugs?
You haven't told us exactly what type you used. Assuming they're IFR6D's they should be alright.

is there anything else I can try and clean - restrictor ? Map Sensor ?
It's unlikely to be the restrictor, but there's nothing to lose by spraying some brake cleaner down it. MAP sensor, unlikely.

As mentioned above there are a number of potential causes for this problem, but the likeliest one is an overfill of oil getting up into the boost solenoid.
Old 19 February 2004, 08:09 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
any ecu fault codes show up when u connected the plugs to clean the boost seleonoid
No, they wouldn't have been, as fault codes aren't shown when the ECU is in test mode (i.e. the mode Nelson would have used to cycle the solenoid).
Old 19 February 2004, 10:01 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
The archetypal "hesitation" problem with the MY00 cars only affected the regular AE802/782 ECU, not the PPP one, so whatever's going on with yours is something else. - okay GM noted - I definitely have the PPP STI labelled ECU

This could be causing overboost. Do you have a boost gauge fitted to check this? - I don't as yet have a boost gauge fitted cos I have an AFR and Boost gaueg to be mounted in a A-Pillar within the next 10 days or so - I think I will temp plumb in the Boost gauge to see whats going on.

Top mark? You mean the top hole or the notch, and hot or cold engine? Did you also change the filter (and if so did you count the amount of oil you pre-filled it with as part of the 4.5 litres)?

Yep the top mark when its cold. Yes I filled the filter and included that as part of the 4.5 litres - when shes cold she is dead on the top mark.

You mean IFR6D's? Did you gap them correctly (0.7-0.8mm)?

Well when I bought my plugs it did state that they do not regapping ? To be fair I didn't check them as I thought they would have automaticllay been done.

How long ago was the downpipe fitted?
D/P has been fitted for a couple of weeks service and BB done last week. When I first had d/p fitted it did seem to be better but I seem to recall that the car felt like it had a slight bit more lag ? Having read previous posts I did do an ECU reset and the car was better.

Can you describe the noise? Again, do you have a boost gauge to quantify whether the boost pressure really has dropped? Well it just sounds like there is a lot more noise coming from the engine - sort of like its doing more work than it should be at the certain rev point. It is difficult to explain cos the Vortex makes quite a racket...lets just say that the car sounds as though it is under full load when I half depress the throttle. As I say the car picks up from 0-2rpm no problem but the throttle feels wrong from about 2.5krpm upwards. The boost comes in at around 2.8rpm and as I have previously mentioned it just doesn't feel right...I guess the boost gauge should give me a bit more to go on. It seems I have to depress the throttle a lot further to get the car to move.

Eh? You mean Test Mode (connecting the green plugs together)?
Yes test mode

Something funny there, should stop cycling as soon as you turn the ignition off.
yes what I thought too - very odd indeed - I used brake cleaner cos my understanding was that this stuff evaporates out.

Unlikely, if it clicks as it should when in test mode. Depending on what you meant by the "top mark" on the dipstick, it could still be oil getting into the solenoid.
Well the car did a very similar thing the last time I had the oil changed by a dealer. They filled it up to 4.5 litres as per my request and for weeks the car felt a slightly hesitant. I do remember cleaning all the pipework /solenoid etc and it seemed to clear.

You haven't told us exactly what type you used. Assuming they're IFR6D's they should be alright.
Sorry they are NGK Iriduims - Platinums were in it before with no problems. These plugs are NGK Iridium BKR6EIX - they did show as being the correct plugs for the Scoob ?

It's unlikely to be the restrictor, but there's nothing to lose by spraying some brake cleaner down it. MAP sensor, unlikely. Noted

As mentioned above there are a number of potential causes for this problem, but the likeliest one is an overfill of oil getting up into the boost solenoid.
Well I have just laid my hands on a MBC Dawes type device which I may just fit at the weekend to take the Boost solenoid out of the question. This may help with disproving certain things. One thing I can say is if I have just returned from work 20 miles away and park up (experiencing hesitation) - go to the car hour or so later and go for a drive she pulls like a rocket again ? quite bizarre.

Anyway many thanks for your thoughts - I will try cleaning all the pipework again at the weekend including the Solenoid and the restrictor...as you say you never know.