Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITG Panel filter

Any good?
Old 12 February 2004, 01:26 PM
simon grove
Scooby Regular

Default ITG

had one on a MY99,took it off when at PE having my TEKECU done as a lot of oil found in air box,then had a K&N fitted by them free. So i for one will not be going back to ITG as i think there is to much oil on them for the MAF,,,,,,,,simon
Old 12 February 2004, 01:30 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

if the oil was in the bottom of the air box, surely it is too think to be sucked into the engine?!?

I have one on my STi 5 (which funnily enough has just had a MAF go), but i aint gonna change it, I do not think at any point the filter is what buggered the MAF!

I'm happy with it!
Old 12 February 2004, 01:54 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

It's normal to see a bit of goo in the bottom of the airbox from the ITG filter, not a problem as that's the dirty side.

I have one in the box at home that's only done about 3K miles, you can have it for cheap if you want.

Andrew...
Old 12 February 2004, 01:58 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of hysteria surrounding the ITG air filters and very little evidence to back-up claims either way.

A few people have made the comment on finding the green goo in the air box, but it's always been at the bottom (i.e. falling out of the filter due to gravity) and never (AFAIK) contaminating the MAF or engine-side of the air box.

If there has been any reports of MAF contamination, then you would have to ask whether this is due to poor fitting or whether the goo has actually been sucked/blown through the filter itself. MAF's fail with std air filters just as much as with other replacement panel filters.

Induction kits have also been accused of shortening the like of a MAF, but this is thought to be down to vibration issues rather than contamination. We certainly can't rule anything out and it's good to be cautious with the MAF, but I'd like to see hard evidence before I make any judgements based on speculation and hysteria.

Just my 2p's worth.

Anway, I have one and haven't really noticed that great a performance gain. I ran with it for around 4 months before I switched by to the std one. I have changed exhausts and increased the boost slightly, so I may try it again to see if there's any change.

The STI panel filter is supposedly just as good and doesn't use any green gunk if you want to be a little cautios.

Stefan
Old 12 February 2004, 02:26 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I've not owned one, so am probably guilty of jumping on the "speculation and hysteria" bandwagon... My only comment is this...

If there's alot of oil on a panel filter, the chances are greatly increased of oil contaminating the warm air going through the filter, and as this air passes over the MAF element, some of the particles of oil will stick to the element. Over time, these particles will eventually cover the whole element. It's as simple as that. And as Ozzy says, the performance gains are negligible. So, why run the risk? Particularly when K&N/Green/STi do as good a job (if not better) without the risk...
Old 12 February 2004, 02:41 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

I thought the K&N's were oiled too?
Old 12 February 2004, 02:42 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

any online retailers that offer the STi Panel?
Old 12 February 2004, 02:45 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

quote:Particularly when K&N/Green/STi do as good a job (if not better) without the risk!!

urrrrmm K&N filters have OIL in them SO do Green filters

the only one that doesnt id the paper sti ones so if youre wanting to be ultra-cautious the ONLY one to stick with is the sti one

however.............. ive had an ITG filter in mine for 10000 miles and theres hardly any oil in the bottom of the filter box........ anyways the stiv7 upwards had a much better designed maf sensor and is therefore a lot harder to contaminate.

my 3 p's worth
Old 12 February 2004, 02:54 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

They are oiled, yes, but nowhere near to the same extent. And yes, to be ultra-cautious, OEM or STi is the way to go.

Don't just check the bottom of the filter box, check the element on your MAF. Just because gravity hasn't pulled oil out of it, doesn't mean to say your turbo hasn't sucked oil out of it...
Old 12 February 2004, 02:59 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

I've just had a knackered MAF, shown up by disconnecting my old ECU and re-connecting a TEK 2.5. I blamed my ITG filter. I've put the standard one back on and a new MAF. I'm now waiting for Demon Tweeks to deliver my pipercross panel filter which apparently has no oil in it. I'll try this and see how I get on.
Old 12 February 2004, 03:02 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

There's a lot of hysteria surrounding the ITG air filters and very little evidence to back-up claims either way.
There's a fair bit of anecdotal evidence with the 99/00 airflow sensor design in particular.

As the Judge says though, this is simply a case of minimising risks. The STi filter is dry, and while the K&N and Green filters do have oil on them, there's nowhere near as much as found on the ITG part.

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
if the oil was in the bottom of the air box, surely it is too think to be sucked into the engine?!?
If gravity alone is enough to make the gunk drop out of the filter when the car is parked up, don't you think your turbo will do a more than good enough job of sucking it out the other side?
Old 12 February 2004, 03:24 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Scoobymania sell the STI filters - this is where I bought mine from when I switched from an ITG to an STI a month or so ago.

For me I had the oil coming through on top of the ITG filter i.e MAF side and didn't want to take the chance with the fragile MY00 MAF's

HTH
Old 12 February 2004, 03:37 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Case closed.

Old 12 February 2004, 03:39 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 and a brand new MAF and Lambda, so I won't be going 'oily'.#

Cheers all!