Notices

Prodrive Spring changes.

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2004, 06:45 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prodrive Spring changes.

I have just had my motor in the dealers to check out a knocking from the rear suspension area and just picked the motor up.

They have told me that an upgrade to standard springs top cup fittment is available to resolve a known fault BUT this does not fit the Prodrive springs.

They have assured me that Prodrive are on the case and they will call me to fit a modded arrangement. Apparently this is to provide new springs that are tapered at the top so that they fit the cup fixture better.

Just thought I would let you all know and also wondered if you have experienced this also?

Steve
Old 10 February 2004, 06:49 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Steve Holmes,

Is this on STi02 or 03 models?

Tony
Old 10 February 2004, 06:54 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

03 mate
Old 11 February 2004, 09:25 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Steve

The 'fix' for an 02 car was to fit an 03 spring and topmount so that the loads were applied. This would mean that if you had our springs fitted on an 02 car, you had a problem. If you have an 03 car, then you already have the later type topmount. If there is now a different one again (which I'm not aware of), if it fits the std 03 spring, then it will fit ours.

Mike
Old 11 February 2004, 10:13 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Mike

So if you already have a MY02 STI with the MY02 Prodrive springs there's no fix?

Mark
Old 11 February 2004, 10:55 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Mark

If the chosen way to help stop a rattle re-occurring is to change to a later top mount, then the springs are going to need changing as well.

Mike
Old 11 February 2004, 11:06 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Mike

So I would need to fit the MY03 Prodrive springs and MY03 standard topmount to my MY02? Just the back or front too?

Mark
Old 11 February 2004, 12:51 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve sorry if off subject of your 03 issues,

Mark, IIRC,
The 02 mod, replacing top mount is actually fitting a 03 mount. The only differences are at size/shape top of the rear Spring and top mount. Fronts remain the same (you also get front bump stops with 03 kits).

I believe you can't get just a pair of 03 rears Prodrive springs if your having the topmount Mod done on your 02. You will need to buy a full set.

IMHO the problem(Rear Topmount rattle) is a Subaru one and is not Prodrive issue so you'd think Subaru/IM need to rectify the fault and replace the now defunked 02 Prodrive rear Springs for 03's.

Steve once again sorry,

Tony
Old 11 February 2004, 04:01 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony & Mike.

So has anyone with a MY02 STI had the MY03 STI Prodrive springs & standard STI topmounts fitted? More importantly does it fix the rattle? Guess I'd need to speak with my dealer and get fixed under warranty.

Mark
Old 11 February 2004, 05:32 PM
milu
Scooby Regular

so is this knock/rattle what im experiencing on my sti 8 with standard springs?
it was at the dealer yesterday and they tightened the tops(rear) but he did say there was a weakness,yet didnt go into detail.
im to see 'how it goes'.
mike
Old 12 February 2004, 08:09 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

My STi7 (or as Mike would prefer MY02 STi) went in to the dealer yesterday to have the suspension clunk/knocking fixed again. Fingers crossed that it will get fixed this time. I don't have the prodrive springs fitted to mine. Had it fixed last year, but problem has slowly come back to the point that the car sounds like it is failing apart at the rear end. You only need to be doing 1-2mph for all the noises/clunking to occur.

I'll report back when I collect her...
Old 15 February 2004, 05:47 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
Steve

The 'fix' for an 02 car was to fit an 03 spring and topmount so that the loads were applied. This would mean that if you had our springs fitted on an 02 car, you had a problem. If you have an 03 car, then you already have the later type topmount. If there is now a different one again (which I'm not aware of), if it fits the std 03 spring, then it will fit ours.

Mike
Hi Mike,

my car is an MY03 and my dealer as Sparshats, Botley, tell me that it is a Prodrive fix that is outstanding and that Prodrive are on the case. I am confused now Mike because if I understand correctly if I have an MY03, which I do, with 03 Prodrive springs, which I do, ..I should be ok??

Can you help clarify please mate.
Old 16 February 2004, 09:46 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Steve

We aren't working on a 'fix' for 03MY with knocking rear dampers so I'm not sure what your dealer thinks is happening.

Mike
Old 16 February 2004, 04:30 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
Angry

Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix !

I reported my rattling/knocking/juddering 30,000 miles ago (7 months), I made 4 visits to Sparshatts and it was still not fixed. (MY02 STi)

Eventually I was told that Subaru tech services were talking to Prodrive regarding this issue and they would be in touch very soon with a solution, that was back at the end of December.

After getting totally pissed off and being very concerned about the possibility that one day something at the back would shear off I sold the piece of junk.

Without doubt Subaru/IM and their appointed dealers are the shabbiest, most incompetent group of people that I have ever dealt with, I honestly had better customer service with my old Fords, Vauxhalls and Renaults.

What really made me choke was that the dealer that took my rattly pile of crap in part ex had the whole rear suspension out, plus diff and drive shafts and sent the whole lot back to Subaru tech and now the car is back on their forecourt ready for sale in under 2 weeks with all problems apperently fixed !

The only reason I even considered another Subaru was because their dealers were the only people offering to buy my piece of crap for anything like sensible money.

If I hear so much as a squeak from the Legacy it's going back to the supplying dealer and I will be onto Subaru Cust Services like a rash, and will follow up every detail with a recorded delivery letter to them.
Old 18 February 2004, 02:15 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

any ideas on a date for the fix mike?

Having just orderd some springs from you via the leicester dealer. If the suspension was to give up due to this problem i take it that the warranty would cover any damage.

The question is for me will the ability to keep the warranty with the springs out way getting eibachs from the likes of TSL? Especially when TSL offer a cheaper price and i have knowledge of their work which i have never had a complaint about, well apart from a cappuccino on tap

Last edited by ARM-Scooby; 18 February 2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 19 February 2004, 01:14 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

ARM-Scooby

As I said "We aren't working on a 'fix' for 03MY with knocking rear dampers so I'm not sure what your dealer thinks is happening."

Fitting non approved parts may have an imact on your warranty.

Mike