Scream from power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2004, 06:35 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scream from power steering

Hi Guys

I had a scream from the power steering on full lock cold start. I saw that I had fluid leaking from the reservoir, so replaced the seal, and then replaced both seals with genuine parts, as an ordinary O-ring was no good. Refilled with fresh oil and did the full lock trick to expel air. Steering seemed fine until cold start up this morning and the screaming was back and the battery warning light flashed, I guess this is because the power steering caused so much drag the belts slipped. The belts are less than 4k old so can't see that to be the problem. Can the air gets trapped in the system and take a few attempts to get out?

Thanks
Old 10 February 2004, 02:27 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stebed
Hi Guys

I had a scream from the power steering on full lock cold start. I saw that I had fluid leaking from the reservoir, so replaced the seal, and then replaced both seals with genuine parts, as an ordinary O-ring was no good. Refilled with fresh oil and did the full lock trick to expel air. Steering seemed fine until cold start up this morning and the screaming was back and the battery warning light flashed, I guess this is because the power steering caused so much drag the belts slipped. The belts are less than 4k old so can't see that to be the problem. Can the air gets trapped in the system and take a few attempts to get out?

Thanks
Anybody?
Old 10 February 2004, 06:06 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Did you replace the shaft seal? Did you check if the pulley was slipping on the shaft?

Murfs
Old 11 February 2004, 03:29 PM
stebed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by murfs
Did you replace the shaft seal? Did you check if the pulley was slipping on the shaft?

Murfs
No I didn't replace the shaft seal, just the 2 on the res. I opened the bonnet this morning an saw that on full lock there the steering pully stalls and the belt slips creating the scream. It started to do this before the seals where changed hence replacing the res. seals. Do you know if there is a drain plug on the steering rack to drain the system off and start with fresh oil?

thanks
Old 13 February 2004, 11:18 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Sorry stebed, over my head.
Old 13 February 2004, 11:27 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Actually, are you saying that the pump pulley stops and that the scream is caused by the driving belt still rotating? If so, it sounds like it could be a bearing in the p/s pump. I think if you had an air lock then the pump shaft should keep rotating. I dont know where the drain plug is but have to presume that there is one there.
Good luck