boost problem in fifth.

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2004, 10:46 PM
mad k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost problem in fifth.

hi,

Bought my WR PPP RB5 impreza a week ago, ive covered 1100 miles in it, i bought it from london and drove it home to glasgow, on the way back after driving for around five hours i noticed when in fifth gear the boost was shooting upto 20psi then droping back to 10psi , then bouncing back to 20psi then back to 10psi then settling at 16-17psi , when its doing this the AFR meter is changing from blue to green.

I thought it was because i filled up with BP ULTIMATE fuel instead of optimax, but after i ran the tank of ULTIMATE out it was still hapaning.

The car was rolling roaded the day i bought it by power engineering who said the car was set up " perfectly "

The car has a ECUTEK2 ecu , a air filter and a decated downpipe.

On the way home from london the exhaust started blowing from a bad patch up weld the previos owner had got done, which i have now repaired properly.

I phoned AWD motorsport in perth today and he said it could be a variety of things, i was just wondering if anyone here has encountered this or could point me in the right direction?

I was planning on running the car at the opening crail thrash 1/4 mile event of the year this coming sunday, but im now worried i have a serious problem.

any info would be great.

thanks, kenny.

Last edited by mad k; 02 February 2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03 February 2004, 04:18 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to me (4th as well) after the weather cooled down in the summer.

I had had a Ecutek remap done during the v hot weather and the car was fine (magnificent in fact), but as soon as it cooled down, the yo-yo symptoms appeared (1.55 bar peak

The problem is "overboost" - the boost is rising too quickly and the ECU is dragging the boost back after it has gone too high.

Causes - dirty boost solenoid? Mine was solved by slightly larger restrictor, now rises to and holds 1.25 bar
There may well be other causes, I'm no expert......

Good luck

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 03 February 2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 11:31 AM
manor2
Scooby Newbie

...perhaps a Dawes Device could be the solution...

/ Manor