Notices

What induction kit would you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 02:04 PM
RB5_IOM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a MY99 RB5 and am looking for an induction kit. I have looked at both the K&N 57i and Blitz. There is big price difference between the two, what would you recommend. I have heared of problems with the Maf sensor with induction kits.

Please help
Old 28 January 2004, 02:13 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yes, for an MY99 you are taking a big risk with an induction kit

Do a search here on 'panel filters/induction kits/ or MAF sensors and you'll see what I mean

My advice (based on owning an MY99) and blowing the engine would be to stick to a decent panel filter and forget induction.

I've done plenty research on this after a huge bill and opted for the Green Cotton panel filter.

Don't take my word for it though as loads will probably disagree.. but do a search

Cheers
Si
Old 28 January 2004, 02:25 PM
RB5_IOM
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I currently have an ITG panel filter. I thought upgrading to an induction could improve peformance if used with other mods.

Again, any advice would be great.
Old 28 January 2004, 03:20 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I can't speak from experience, only from what I've learnt on here, but ITG panel filters seem to be in the same league for MAF related problems as induction kits. Might be worth checking your MAF's OK, just to be on the safe side. Or you could replace with a K&N, Green, or STi panel filter, with minimal loss in performance (if any).

There are mods you can do other than air intake, that will improve performance far more. Have you got the WR Sport version, or standard? If standard, you could consider upgrading exhaust, and EcuTek remap. If your budget doesn't stretch that far, you could opt for a manual boost controller, but would also advise a boost gauge (to set boost pressure safely), AFR gauge (to monitor mixture), and knocklink (to monitor det).
Old 28 January 2004, 03:20 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Pointless unless you have a remap and a cold air feed. Will probably sap your toque and kill the MAF if its not K&N. I saw the effects on mine, on a rolling road.

Sounds crap too IMHO.

MB
Old 28 January 2004, 03:31 PM
RB5_IOM
Scooby Regular

Standard RB5, I am looking into putting cash into the RB, upgrading the exhaust to a Blitz NurSpec R and possibly a EcuTek 3 map.

Thanks for your advice, keep it coming
Old 28 January 2004, 03:57 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Sti panel filter or Green/Blue panel or K&N (panel).

No need unless you have the ( previously discussed ) CAI mods or are just looking to make a horrible racket.

Steve

Old 28 January 2004, 03:59 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

I've got an MY99 3inch exhaust, FCD, 1.3bar boost and use the GGR induction bell/filter. The filter is K&N but much larger than the 57i version. This kit does cause the MAF to misread slightly, thereby giving you a little more ignition advance and a little less fuel, which makes the car feel keener. This meant that on plain optimax I had to drop boost from 18psi to 17psi as I was getting some occasional transient det. However road dyno showed midrange torque was unaffected by the boost drop, and I gained 5-10lbft wheel torque above 5000rpm (this is where the stock inlet becomes restrictive when trying to push as much boost out of the stock td04 as possible) due to a gain of 0.5-1psi manifold pressure. I know use methanol as octane booster which allows 19psi boost without any trouble from the Knocklink.

I replaced my MAF when I fitted the kit cos it was already failing and the kit pushed it even further out. I've now done 12000miles with it on, and MAF is still ok.

However I would only fit an induction kit if you've got a knocklink fitted to warn you of any problems.

The noise is another matter

Simon
Old 28 January 2004, 04:03 PM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Hi
I ran my99 with Blitz for 9months with no maf probs but didnt like the thought of a chance it running lean and ended up putting a Link ecu and remap,this does away with the maf anyway and kept the Blitz and ran a separate cold air feed piping from the front orange wedge to add extra cold air,havent had any probs with the Blitz but each person will have theyre own preference
Regards
Gene
Old 28 January 2004, 04:56 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I just had my car mapped at PE and they wouldn't map the car with the ITG fitted and it was suspect as to whether the MAF had been damaged for having that panel, so I went for a K&N panel.

I did have a K&N induction kit to fit but I've managed to buy one that fits up to 98 so no use for my 00 car.

I had a choice of induction and panel and I was in two minds about fitting the induction kit anyway so decided to er on the side of caution.