Notices

induction help

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2004, 05:18 PM
Scooby G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

having just bought my scoobasaurus, im broke, but being me, im impatient.

ive managed to do the all important back box and centre section. the downpipe and other little pipe will be done in a few months.

but my problem is the car seems to be struggling to take in air.

THUS

i need a higher performance air filter that doesnt need to conform to any noise regulations.

option 1. find £50 buy a panel filter
option 2. find £100 and buy and induction kit.
option 3. modify the brand new K&N induction kit that my bro bought for his Veilside Mx5 and never used. its pretty big and its mine for nothing, i just have to do the pipe work, surely this cant be that hard???? right????

1. does anyone see any problem with my master plan?
2. does anyone have and tips?
3. does anyone have a picture of an induction kit fitted to a scooby turbo engine.?

any help on my little project would be massively appreciated.

regards

Giles
Old 24 January 2004, 05:32 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How did you conclude that the car is struggling to take on air?
Old 24 January 2004, 05:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Go for a panel filter.
Old 24 January 2004, 06:34 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

you can buy my green panel filter only done 500 miles got an induction kit now

offers to email.
Old 24 January 2004, 08:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year's the car, I have a K&N induction kit for the 1999's, and 2000's that's going for a good price, mail me if interested!

Ron.
Old 25 January 2004, 12:40 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

having just bought my scoobasaurus
Did it come with a warranty?

ive managed to do the all important back box and centre section.
It's the downpipe that's important, the centre section and back box are just window dressing.

but my problem is the car seems to be struggling to take in air.
How do you work that out? Is it cutting out or running badly?

THUS i need a higher performance air filter that doesnt need to conform to any noise regulations.
You probably don't. There are no "noise regulations" for air filters anyway, BTW.

1. does anyone see any problem with my master plan?
Yeah, the underlying assumption you've based it on is flawed. Assuming the filter that's in there ATM isn't due for replacement anyway, the car won't be "struggling" to take in air.

2. does anyone have and tips?
If the car came with a warranty, don't muck about with it too much. If it goes bang over the next couple of weeks and you take it back with a munged up induction kit on it, the garage will laugh at your warranty claim and tell you to sling your hook.

As you've already been told, the MY99 and MY2000 cars have a reputation for fragile airflow sensors, and so if this is what you have, I wouldn't even think about "adapting" the induction kit.

3. does anyone have a picture of an induction kit fitted to a scooby turbo engine.?
Bound to be something in Member's Gallery. Have you looked?

any help on my little project would be massively appreciated.
Don't see why you reckon there's a problem with the current filter. Provided it's not due for the bin, you will barely gain anything by fitting a "high performance" replacement, be it a panel or a cone.

If the current one's dirty, just buy a brand new Subaru paper filter, or if you must have something "better", get an STi panel. At least that way there's no chance of you invalidating any warranty you got with the car.
Old 25 January 2004, 08:14 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey KICKS ***!!!

Oh yeah, panel filters are the win!
Old 25 January 2004, 09:51 AM
Scooby G
Scooby Regular

geasy monkey you do kick *** dude.

thanks for the advice matey.

its an 01 WRX bugeye

the centre section and back box are all important initial steps to get my car sounding the way i like it.

the downpipe and cat replacemtn pipe are planned for the near future.

my assumption was based on the fact that the chaps from prodrive state that the standard air intake is restrictive, made that way due to eu noise regulations.

plus ive had them on all my previous turbo cars and the difference was immence. it revs harder and longer as well as improved throttle responce.

Old 25 January 2004, 02:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

my assumption was based on the fact that the chaps from prodrive state that the standard air intake is restrictive, made that way due to eu noise regulations.
The standard intake has a baffled chamber to kill the induction noise, but it is not restrictive in the power-sapping sense. It's actually pretty good, especially so on the MY01< cars as it takes cold air directly from the front inlet.

If you look around here you'll find plenty of people running quite heavily modified cars, using considerably higher levels than your car currently does, all on the standard induction tract.

plus ive had them on all my previous turbo cars and the difference was immence. it revs harder and longer as well as improved throttle responce.
That is not the case on the Impreza. Throttle response is already pretty good on the small TD04 turbo, and the most effective way to improve it is to free up the exhaust system rather than tinker with the induction side.

Changing the induction won't make your car that much freer revving either, as the boost pressure is programmed to tail off at higher engine speeds, and the only way to change that programming is to either reprogram the ECU, or take boost control out of its hands.