Notices

MBC fitment

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 06:31 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this has been done to death as i've read most of the posts, but what i'm after is basic instructions on fitting to a my94 uk. It is a T shaped controller with SRP written on the side and came without any instructions. Someone please humour me, some pics would be perfect. Also, while i'm here I bought a turbosmart mechanical fuel cut defender, also without instructions. Anyone know where this goes?. P.s. Will have all the relevant guages before using so no lectures please.
Old 13 January 2004, 09:23 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

BTTT....please?
Old 13 January 2004, 10:29 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

You know you want to.
Old 13 January 2004, 10:31 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Any chance of seeing a pic or something of this SRP thingy? Can't do a lot from that
And the mechanical fuel cut defender - I have some ideas, but then it depends on exactly what it is...
Old 13 January 2004, 11:06 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

Sorry Nom cant do pictures. The FCD is a Turbosmart one, it has a control **** at one end, its about the size of a *** lighter, at the other end pointing down is a 4 inch pipe, then a T-piece then two pipes off either way which loop in on themselves one of which is alot shorter than the other. The MBC can probably be seen on ebay, its identical in its workings as a Dawes device except that its T shaped with a nipple underneath pointing down and one pointing at right angles to it, opposite that is the control ****. There is also an arrow pointing horizontally on both sides, on one side it points to the nipple and has a plus sign next to it, the other points to the control **** and has a minus sign next to it. Hope this helps thanks for trying. Olly
Old 13 January 2004, 11:45 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Erm, yikes
I'll have a think - at the moment, I can't work it out!
Old 14 January 2004, 08:11 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

FCD is sorted. The MBC is basically the same as the turbosmart one, I know one end goes to the actuator but which pipe goes on the other end. I've searched all day and found nothing relevant to an my94 uk turbo. Surely someone must have a piccy of similar set up. Thanks in advance. Olly
Old 14 January 2004, 08:56 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Glad to hear you've got the FCD sorted - that one had me really confused

Now... boost gadget... I think I'm going to get lost again without being able to actually see something, but we might get there anyway...
I'm not even sure what boost controller is standard on a MY94, but I think it's probably a 3 port? So you have a tube from the solenoid to the wastegate actuator, a tube from the solenoid to the compressor outlet nipple, and another from the solenoid to the inlet pipe, or the outside world in general anyway
So, 1 tube 'in' (compressor nipple connection), 2 'out' (one to the wastegate actuator to, umm, actuate it and one to ditch the pressure no needed to open the actuator).
Thinking of it like that, you should be able to work out which tube should be stuck onto what with the MBC. Basically, the solenoid is taken completely out of the equation. Originally, the turbo wastegate was opened by having a tube between the compressor nipple & the actuator. The bleed valve simply sits in the middle & 'bleeds' air out, so the wategate opens later.
Hmm, I actually even found a piccy -

Looks about right to me.
Still not convinced by the way these things work... a Dawes is so much neater in the way it goes about things
Old 14 January 2004, 09:06 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8 your a star. Yep its a three port solenoid, which was causing the confusion. What do you do with the third hose off the solenoid that goes to the intake resonator box? Thanks again. Olly
Old 14 January 2004, 09:57 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Third hose can stay where it is. It's just an air outlet - one of those things that's necessary for emissions stuff when the car's made, but not a lot of use after that

There are further complications that you can add, by the way, if you want to... the above 'set up' is the simple route. But I don't trust the others at all - they involve restricting the amount of control the solenoid has over the actuator, which seems to me a recipe for disaster but I think it's the way that SuperChips works... say no more

A Dawes os a good move. Honestly.
Old 14 January 2004, 10:06 PM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

Cheers again Nom. Does the Dawes fit differently to other manual boost controllers?
Old 14 January 2004, 11:09 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

It fits the same as gone through above, it just works differently - a bleed valve 'confuses' things to a set level by bleeding air off so the wastage opens slower than the 'set' rate. This means it's open to wastegate creep in a big way. A Dawes works like a pressure valve - it stays 100% shut (therefore the wastegate does as well, allowing the fastest boost build possible) until the 'pressure point' is met (ie the required boost) at which point it opens/lets air past it to the wategate solenoid, opening the wastegate & allowing boost to settle.

It works very well indeed - in a different leage to other MBCs - and better than virtually all EBCs unless you like 'part throttle control' - its one achilles heel (it's a bit "all boost or none at all" ). I like part throttle control, and that costs £300 for the bit of kit AFAIK that has the same spool-up as the Dawes, which is only a little more than a tenth of that
Old 15 January 2004, 12:04 AM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure its made in the same way i.e. a ball and spring mechanism. The advert on e-bay said it was definately not a bleed valve. What characteristics would I be looking for when driving to determine which type it is? C heers m8
Old 15 January 2004, 11:47 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

A bleed valve will come on boost slowly, a Dawes type device will be sudden - rather easier to notice if you have chance to use both, though!