Notices

Inconsistent power delivery

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 02:07 PM
IMPREZA28
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1999 UK turbo impreza has a very lumpy power delivery. It’s not really noticeable in 1st 2nd and 3rd but when gunning the accelerator in 4th or 5th on the motorway, I can hear the turbo spooling and boosting then turning off, it does this on off type of thing about four times until I reach the limit in 4th and continues to do it in 5th. Has anyone got any idea what might be wrong or is this normal? I don't know if it was chipped prior to me owning it btw.
Old 30 December 2003, 10:42 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

This could be complete toss but the MAF on my car (99 Turbo) caused all kinds of weird and wonderful side effects. Lumpy idle after a thrashing, power surging on acceleration and increased fuel economy. Dealer on various inspections came up with the "nothing wrong there mate" line. Anyway on consultation here I decided to splash out on a new MAF (£60) as they are a known weak point on this model. Car was sorted immediately.

Pat
Old 31 December 2003, 07:06 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Sounds like boost oscillation - what other mods do you have? PPP with a decat is known to do this unless you play with restrictor size a bit. I assume you have no boost gauge?

Richard
Old 31 December 2003, 07:59 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

It sounds like Overboosting..... quite common with these beautiful cold spells...

Though unless you have a boost gauge fitted you won't be able to see what you are getting, best to have a friend in the car to read the gauge....

Fairly easy to reamedy unless you have a mapped ECU & you then might need the mapper to make a few minor adjustments
Old 31 December 2003, 10:22 AM
IMPREZA28
Scooby Newbie

As far as i know, the car is totally standard. I am in agreement that as the weather has got colder, the problem is more noticeable. I will consider getting a boost guage just to see what is going on. Pat, where did you get you mass air flow sensor from (this is what you mean by MAF?) sounds like a brgain at £60. Thanks for all the advice guys. Anyone know where you can get a Haynes manual or equivalent for the scoob from?
Old 31 December 2003, 12:30 PM
Andy_Razz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

IMPREZA28

Regarding the Haynes manual i asked my local Main Dealer yeaterday and went on the haynes website in search of such a manual
http://www.haynes.co.uk/inc/viewmanual.asp?mt=NMP016

Unfortunatly, he said that Subaru will not allow another company to publish detailed engine specs and instructions as it will reduce the amount of repair jobs at the Main Dealers .....BA****DS

Guess we'll keep having to go to the Main Dealers and pay the big monies

Andy

[Edited by Andy_Razz - 12/31/2003 12:31:09 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 02:34 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Impreza28 yip there the same thing. I got mine from my local dealer part no. 22794AA010. Sorry I told fibs it cost £54. If you have the correct tool it takes less than five minutes to change (sorry I don't have the size to hand or indeed the correct name of the screwdriver adaptor thingy) I'm sure the dealer will do it for you for next to nothing. Don't let them try to sell you any more than the above part. Apparently some dealers were unaware that the MAF could be sold separately and tried to flog the entire housing etc which runs to approx £300.

Pat