Notices

a couple of TEK2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2003, 09:07 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to take advantage of the group buy hopefully mid january and i've got a few questions that maybe people who've had the map can answer?
did you need to upgrade the pipes (intercooler etc.)?
what sort of psi boost is the car after the remap?
can you have a map which can incorporate passing an mot without cats while still giving the sort of 270-280 bhp results?
if not, will it damage the car with a cat downpipe on to get to the test centre if the car is mapped not to use it?

i'll be asking these questions to PE, but didn't want to bother them until i book the car in, so any replies would be appreciated.

cheers
Old 28 December 2003, 01:09 AM
TORBOTITS
Scooby Newbie

Got a tec2 myself,

No you cant get a map that will pass the mot without a cat,to do that the car would be running so lean the pistons would melt and The car would run like s**t.When mot'ing a car with a cat the immisions testing gear is looking for a change between idle and when revving the engine,without a cat it would'nt notice any change.This is only very basically how the cat works. I dont want to go into facts and figures cos there's no need.
There's no need for any intercooler pipe change's or anything like that at all. Yes its perfectly save to put you cat back on and drive to the mot station, although if you hammer it you will notice a reduction in power output
Old 28 December 2003, 01:13 AM
TORBOTITS
Scooby Newbie

I forgot to add mine run's 1.2 bar
Old 28 December 2003, 02:31 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

did you need to upgrade the pipes (intercooler etc.)?
I didn't, but apparently you should. I took the IC off and the std pipe is quite naff. IC pipe looks like its on its way to cracking, so deffo a good idea to upgrade...

what sort of psi boost is the car after the remap?
Peaks at 16psi in 4/5th. Spikes about 18psi. In 1/2/3 it peaks at about 13/14 psi, no spikes though. Tek 2 really shows its colours in 4/5th gear at high revs IMO.

can you have a map which can incorporate passing an mot without cats while still giving the sort of 270-280 bhp results?
No cats, no MOT. However, 10 pounds under the sun visor helps

if not, will it damage the car with a cat downpipe on to get to the test centre if the car is mapped not to use it?
Can't imagine it to do so. Plus, would you really rip it to the MOT centre? Just cruise there...
Old 28 December 2003, 09:41 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
ive got no cats on my car and it flew past its mot, was worried about the exhaust bit but no problems whatsoever and im not the only one that has passed without cats
Old 28 December 2003, 12:34 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info guys, probably won't bother changing the pipes unless theres a problem.
stevebt, my car also passes it's MOT with full decat aswell, past 2 years it's sailed thru, fingers crossed the same will happen with the TEK2.
did you guys with the TEK2 just go for the max power you could get, or is 270-280 still a safe output for uk car?
i've done a search on the TEK2 and a couple of times people have used an octane booster, is this the only way to get to 280? don't really want to **** around putting a booster in all the time so should i be expecting a lower output just maping it to optimax/sul?

cheers