Notices

What injectors do I need

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 09:20 AM
scoobyfury
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am about to fit a front entry TD05 turbo to my ukMY98, Does anybody no if i need to fit bigger injectors or will my 380cc injectors be big enough
Old 23 December 2003, 09:39 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

It's a little more complicated than that - just fitting larger injectors without remapping the ECU will lead to dangerously rich fuelling.

If you're looking to compensate for injector limitations, then I'd recommend a rising rate fuel pressure regulator which will provide additional fuel only at high boost.

However, even this is tricky unless you really understand what is happening. Assuming you have no way of monitoring IDC's, and you don't want to fit a reprogammable ECU, the minimum you'd need is a Knocklink and Lambdalink (but det cans and a wideband would be far better ).

I'd then suggest starting at stock boost and slowly rising it, watching the displays and adjusting things accordingly. Also note that the timing will be innapropriate once you raise the boost past a certain point, but this can be compensated for with a bit more fuel.

I'd guess your stock ecu and injectors *should* be good up to ~1.0 bar at redline (and considerably more through the midrange), but many other factors affect whether this can be achieved successfully and safely (have you removed major restrictions from intake and exhaust systems?).

Good luck and be careful, Richard
Old 23 December 2003, 09:45 AM
scoobyfury
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mate for you reply, I might add i have fitted a HKS AFR, HKS FCD and a APEXi AVCR boost controller and a full de-cat. It is currentley running 1.2 bar boost. Can you give me any other advice.
Old 23 December 2003, 10:48 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Just get a wideband and knocklink too then, and start playing

Depending on the targets you want to reach will depend on whether you do the injectors or RR FPR now. ~300 should be achievable with the FPR and stock injectors safely.

I assume your 1.2 bar is max value, not a redline value? With the 05 you can happily run 1.5 bar in the mid-range to up the torque a bit (assuming your i/c can cool the air adequately - some have even run considerably more than this ), and then tail it off to whatever the i/c (and the stock timing) can cope with high up.

Richard
Old 23 December 2003, 10:53 AM
scoobyfury
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate.