Notices

why am i gettin a red light on knocklink now???

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 06:26 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

as above. was getting a flash on the first green light before, but now i've replaced the atmospheric dv for a standard dv, i got the red light(quick flash) in third and fourth under hard acceleration at about 5k revs????
Old 21 December 2003, 06:53 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I just fitted mine this weekend! Read what people had done on here, and decided to leave it set on Max Sensitivity. Went for a drive today, and it went straight up to red and down as quick as a flash next gear went up and stayed there a bit!. Turned the sens down 2 marks and now when accelerating hard WOT did the same. Flashed straight up and down, next gear only one green??? Not sure what to do about the sens, and whether to trust it? Car has been Tek3 mapped so should be ok on Optimax
Old 21 December 2003, 06:55 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both your engines are detting until proven otherwise. Do not turn the sensitivity down unless you have proven otherwise.
Old 21 December 2003, 06:57 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

my car hasn't been mapped and the sensor is on max sensitivity, but it always has been and not even the second green light ever flashed before!!!

could maybe have something to do with a richer mixture now the atmos dv has been taken out i suppose. but can anyone shed some light here???
Old 21 December 2003, 06:59 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

how can i prove it though john???
Old 21 December 2003, 07:46 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

John, I really hope that it isn't! The car has a few mods (P1) and has been Re-mapped by BRD using det cans, and Bob never detected any det.Ran at a RR not long ago and no detting then, so unless its a bad tank of Optimax, I am a bit worried! Sensor mounted on Cyl 3 as suggested by Bob. I thought that if the sensor went to red it would stay there, that's what mystifies me?
Old 21 December 2003, 08:11 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

anyone? would an uprated fuel pump help me?
Old 21 December 2003, 08:20 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

oh, and my afr isn't coming up to rich under hard acceleration. could it be the split's in the air intake to turbo pipe? i taped them up, but maybe not perfect. just until i got a new one, like
Old 21 December 2003, 08:24 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
why would the sensor stay on red? it doesnt, it's an instantaneous indication of engine noise/det.

If it was quiet and is now showing red then you have a problem, so stop nailing it and find out whats wrong. Why would you fit a device to warn you of a problem, and then when it warns you, complain?

You could have crap fuel, you could have a failed MAF sensor, you could have a faulty fuel pump, if you ignore it you could have a blown engine.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:29 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

i'm not complaining and i never said it was staying on red. i said it only had a flash...or were you talking about pickle?
Old 21 December 2003, 08:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

did i just read that right? your intake is split, your AFR is lean and now you wonder if there is a problem? Use your brain, you are being told you have a problem with the engine running lean, you know more air is getting in than is being metered by the MAF sensor, you have warning of engine det.

If you cant work the problem out from that, god help you.

Stop nailing it and get the pipe replaced, it's not rocket science.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:32 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i was talking about Pickle, my last post was about you.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:39 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

eh...cheers

i've been posting what problems i've been having in general tech for a while now as the car hasn't been right and not once has someone made such a big point about getting the intake pipe replaced. i ask questions on here in order to get an answer, but if it's such a big hassle to post a reply to which i'm keen on hearing, then i'm sorry to say, don't post at all. i'm looking for help and not to be put down! i might not be as "experienced" as yourself mr. felstead, but i try hard to understand the way the car's work and will only be able to learn from asking on scoobynet. but if that's the reply's i'm going to get, i'd be as well not posting at all and sell the f3ckin thing!!!
Old 21 December 2003, 08:53 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Why have you installed this kit to tell you there is a problem, if you then ignore what it is telling you and bodge the car? I really dont understand that mentality.

It could cost you £3000 to fix if you carry on driving it under load in the state it is now.

Just think about it, your AFR meter is telling you its running lean, yet you still drive it hard and allow it to det, hence the knocklink red coming on. Thats just not a smart thing to do.

The only way the ECU knows how much air the engine is using is by metering the airflow past the MAF sensor from the airbox, now if you have a split in the pipe between the MAF and the turbo, it's going to suck more air in than the ECU knows about. This makes it run lean, which your AFR meter is telling you, that leads to the engine detting, which your knocklink is telling you.

Joke about it or even moan about being told straight that you are being stupid if you like, sell the car if that upsets you. It's better than you being stuck with a knackered engine because you are too stupid to use your brain for a minute and think, maybe i should back off and sort out my problems that i know are there (taped up split pipe) and see if that stops it screaming at you that its not happy.

I am sorry i havnt read all your other posts on the subject, but come on, use your brain a bit.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:58 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i've only just fitted a new turbo as i had another problem with the car and only just got a flash of red tonight...once and was wondering how, after fitting a standard dv. i knew the air intake pipe was split and am in the midst of trying to source another one. don't think i'm not apprecaitive of ANY help from anyone one, but if you were looking for ananswer and someone told you, you were stupid for not knowing the answer, would you not be a bit miffed off? like i said it only happened the once and only , just tonight.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would call you naive for not understanding what was going on. I would only call you stupid if you didn't heed Johns advice.

Don't know what side of bed John climbed out this morning or maybe he's just being protective since he's been on the receiving end of a blown engine.

Stefan
Old 21 December 2003, 09:02 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

But you are driving a car that is telling you its running lean, why are you still driving it hard enough to light the knocklink up? Dont you think a lean running engine is a serious problem and you need to find out why before you put it under load again?
Old 21 December 2003, 09:04 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cool

i was only asking because i've ran the car with the new turbo and forge atmospheric dv for a week and only got the first green light flash(as usual) and THEN when i've replaced the dv for a standard one, i get a red light. that's all. i did understand that i had to get the intake rpipe replaced and also it won't do any good for the engine.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

only changed the dv today and only got one red flash tonight. i've NOT been running it all week with the red light on. you see?
Old 21 December 2003, 09:10 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

OK, lets put it as simple as i can. If you continue to drive the car under load in its current state, you are asking to melt your pistons. This is going to cost you £2000-£3000 to fix and you wont have the car for weeks.

I dont think you are taking seriously enough, what your AFR meter is telling you. The fact that you know you have a problem on the inlet/airflow side if the engine and are getting this lean mixture reading should have you pootling around off boost until you fix it. Loading it up so you are also getting det indication doesnt make any sense.

One of the major reasons these engines fail is down to running lean under boost, you simply cant afford to ignore it.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:14 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

there we go. that's better isn't it i knew it wasn't right, but simply wondered why, it showed red after a change in dv. but shall concentrate more on getting the intake pipe. i'm in the middst of sourcing one from a couple of places.

still not got the answer to why it changed when the dv was changed though?
Old 21 December 2003, 09:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

with regards to why your getting a red now, you will probably find your old DV was leaking a little air to atmosphere under boost, so that would richen the mixture back up a little and compensate for the split in the inlet pipe a little. Now you have a recirc dump valve back in the system you wont be losing this air, so it will lean it out even more.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:16 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cool

ah. there we go. thank you very much john. your help is much apprecaited
Old 21 December 2003, 09:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

drive it off boost until you replace this pipe, i would hate to read a post of yours in a few days asking where to get the engine rebuilt.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:17 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

pmsl. indeed i will m8. and cheers again

no hard feelings?
Old 21 December 2003, 09:18 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

no problem.

where's me valium.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:21 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

a lot of people seem to do/say that when they're finished speaking to me. AlanG hates me, cause i've picked his brain so much about me car. all since he's met me too

[Edited by drb5 - 12/21/2003 9:22:58 PM]
Old 21 December 2003, 09:23 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Question

don't suppose you know where i can get a new pipe and what price it should be?
Old 21 December 2003, 09:27 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

try grade-a subaru, other than a breakers you are looking at subaru or an aftermarket, which arnt that cheap unfortunately.

You could put a wanted add in the wanted forum too, someone who upgraged may have a spare.
Old 21 December 2003, 09:30 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Smile

haven't tried grade-a, but have had the wanted up for a while. p20spd has one, but at £80???...i don't know yet as i don't know how much they usually go for.

Quick Reply: why am i gettin a red light on knocklink now???