Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Adjustable centre diff on UK car ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2001, 01:24 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is probably a crap idea, ho hum I'm full of them.

I'm a little bored of the pretty neutral handling characteristics of my car (UK MY98) on the track. I love it on the road as it's so forgiving, but on the track it's frankly dull.

I really want a RWD car so I can smoke my tyres doing broadies I really do miss how controlled a well set up RWD car feels.

Can't afford two cars, so I was thinking I would really like my own car, but be able to change to from RWD to AWD at the flick of a button.

So, does an adjustable centre diff let you do this ? (balance the car on the throttle) and can I fit one to my car. Oh and my budget would be about £1500 max.

Or should I just buy a RWD car and be done with it ?

Gary
Old 17 January 2001, 07:45 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

IMHO, it is possible to change but your budget may not be enough.
You will need to source a type RA gearbox with electronic diff control, internal switch gear and matching rear diff.
This will give you a front LSD aswell I believe.
BIG downside will be the short ratio gearing. Roughly 4500 rpm will give about 80mph.
Old 17 January 2001, 08:43 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

I looked at the STI parts list and noticed you can by the LSD (front) Mechanical diff (rear) and an STI viscous coupling (but it didn't mention the type R one, which I assume comes with some electronic gizmo).

Because they sold them separately I assumed they were just bolt on parts. Are you saying the Gearbox / Diff / Centre Coupling are all one unit ?.

To be honest, I haven't really got a clue about how these items fit together in an AWD car .. new territory here.

Gary
Old 17 January 2001, 09:41 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Gary.
How on earth can you say UK MY98's are boring on track?

Stef.
Old 17 January 2001, 11:33 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

He he, Lol Stef

OK, MY98's are boring on track when I am driving

I do remember following you (being overtaken then watching you dissapear into the distance) and it looked slightly more 'interesting' in your car

You should have taken me out and shown me how to drive *properly* (ie in a completely out of shape and on past the edge way
Old 18 January 2001, 02:21 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Hi Guys,

This is not a trivial job.

Firstly, IIRC, you can't have the Adjustable diff and ABS on the same car... the ABS won't work properly with the diff fitted.

Secondly, it's not just gearbox, switches and rear diff... it's also uprated driveshafts and wheelhubs on the rear at least.

You are not likely to get a front LSD with an RA gearbox... Some may havce had the option fitted, at extra cost, but IIRC, it's not a standard item.

Maybe you could trade your car in for an R or RA? You won't get any warranty cover on your uk car if you change these bits.
Old 18 January 2001, 08:50 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for that Moray !

Yes thats way too complicated, the cost would just be prohibitive. I've thought about trading the car in for a Type R(A), don't care about the Warranty as mine wil run out in Feb anyway.

The insurance is prohibitive however - really thats the car I should have bought in the first place, hindsight's a great thing

:-(

Anyway, If I was going to trade my car in, it would be for a diesel with tow bar and trailer. Then I can by a *proper* track car