Notices

Does FOGGY weather Cause MISFIRE

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 11:25 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I own a Legacy 2.0 Turbo and my Friend has a Impreza WRX when the weather is foggy or very cold both cars seem to miss or detonate when boosting.
Is this to do with the moisture in the air, as the cars seem fine in milder weather.

Futher car details below.

I own a Legacy 2.0 Turbo, M reg, several mods including filter, de-cat, not sure about the chip but only runs 9psi,

My friend owns a Impreza WRX, import, M reg, mods include de-cat filter, AFR, Fuel cut, running approx 14 psi, not chipped.

[Edited by jubba6 - 12/15/2003 11:26:50 PM]
Old 16 December 2003, 08:37 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Dont forget that being as the outside air is quite "chilled", thus making it denser than normal,it does boost engine operation as you find even normally aspirated cars having a "touch" more "go" than usual. So your question of overboost symptoms are quite correct. Foggy weather could possibly cause misfire faults as the cooler damp air does penetrate engine bays, especially if a nice hot engine is parked in a garage,then left to cool off, they seems to attract more condensation than any other scenario i know to. It is far better to leave a car outside, as the breeze blowing past a car, seems to keep the damp "still" air off the electrics.
is just means you have tode ice all the windows instead, but cant have things both ways now can you?
Old 16 December 2003, 10:47 AM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Cool

Are there any other subaru owners who seem to encounter this problem, or does it mean that my car and my mates are not set up correctly. Is there any way of reducing this effect, it is rather annoying.
Old 16 December 2003, 01:19 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Wink

Me and me mate both have Legacy Turbos and the fault you describe is a common one. It also affects the Imprezas too.

What I have found from reading other threads and my proof is that the coil packs lose there efficiency over time and crack. This allows moisture in and causes misfires and poor running. This is happening to Mikes car right now.

He would put his foot down and acelerate but the car splutters, pops and bangs and then goes again. Its very much like overboost fuel cut when you set the car up with a Dawes device or similar.

The coil packs are made of a material similar to bacolite and the just go brittle and bits brake off em or hair line crack appear in them.

I changed my coils to the Oz Bosch ones and this made a huge difference. Mike will be doing the same.

hope this helps.

Theres plenty of info in the search section.

Also your spark plugs could be goosed, need cleanin or regapping to .7. They maybe on the large side.

Ste.
Old 16 December 2003, 06:38 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanx for the advise.

Are you talking about the laminated face on the back of coil pack, which face away from the engine.

Has any-one tried to re-seal these with a thin layer of araldite or similar.

Would a spray of damp start(WD-40) help.

[Edited by jubba6 - 12/16/2003 6:51:02 PM]
Old 16 December 2003, 08:16 PM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Location: "Good Lord, I'm Getting A Reading Of Over 40 Mega-Fonzies On The Coolometer!!"
It's not just the back face but all over the coil pack. Because of the position on the engine they are prone to moisture more than a nice set of leads and plugs sat on top of a normal designed engine.

wd40 and the likes has cured slight misfiring on myne and I do give all the electics a good dousing with the stuff after spark plug regapping etc.

WD40 can only help. Its worth a go mate.

i read some time ago on hear bout using aralditr etc to reseal the coil packs. Again come to think about it, when I 1st got the car I changed the plugs and found that my original coil packs had been butchered by a previous owner. Araldite rapid held one of them together "mechanicaly" but I dont know how good it is at repelling micro molecules of moisture though.

Have someone check the gaps on the plugs, spray all the colis with wd40 and see if that helps. If it isnt that then it could well be the coils themselves. They are like a lot of the components on these engines, they are only meant to last for so long and then be replaced. The lamda sensors in the same boat.

If its not the coils, plugs etc then I'm getting out of my league. Im a little fish when it comes to these cars and am only learning as I go on. There are some big fish on hear who could assist further than I can.

Glad to help where I can though but someone like GreaseMonkey will be able to put you right.

Good Luck.

Ste @ home.

Edited due to the rspca wanting to know why I'm telling people on here to spray WD40 all over colis (down boy)
Coils is what I meant goddamit

[Edited by STE.W.(atome) - 12/16/2003 8:21:50 PM]
Old 16 December 2003, 10:13 PM
jubba6
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks again LOL STE.W.

I just put new plugs in a few weeks ago HKS S40i, gapped to 0.75mm, so can rule that out I hope.

By the way What is the top speed of a standard Legacy 2.0 Turbo.
Old 17 December 2003, 08:15 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Talking

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip Anorach mode on/

According to my EVO mag its 136mph and 0-60 in 6.9.

Anorach mode off\ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip.

Ste.