Notices

Dead scoob pt2 - the reaper cometh.....

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2003, 10:38 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well folks, it's time for depression factor 11 Mr Sulu.

The good news is that my fuel pump is just tickety boo. This at least gives me the tiny bit of satisfaction that I was telling my mate it sounded like it was fine all along. I like being right.

The bad news is that my timing belt has slipped. I don't know how much, but it's not hopeful as nice things like it only being a tooth or two out are things that happen to other people.

I guess now my only option is to get a new belt (anyone know what they cost & a good place to order one? I know they aren't cheap), time it all up properly with the new belt on & see if it's been lucky enough for the pistons & valves to have avoided that most unholiest of unions that I'm dreading/expecting, or if the engine is now a cambelt murder victim.

If anyone has any cunning suggestions on other ways of finding out if it's wrecked before I fork out for a new & potentially useless cambelt I'd be obliged as I'm hardly flush at the moment having just spent loads of money on getting the car all shipshape and treating it to lots of goodies.

Merry ****ing Christmas to me - ho ho ho.
The best bit of all is that I just finished paying my mum back last month the money I borrowed off her to buy the treacherous chunk of crap.

Well, I'm off to get drunk now, and sulk. A lot.
Anyone know what a second hand scoob engine goes for roughly? Time to get saving. :|
Old 16 December 2003, 12:25 AM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Smile

just done my cambelt ..will cost u about 100 quid...yes im serious its huge.,hurd rumours of them being cheeper but havent seen anything.2 check 4 valve dammage u need 2 guive each cylinder a compression test[or a mechanic 2 do it ..or lend u his compression kit.this will guive u a good indication of any damage.

hope its ok m8 my worst nightmare[other than the bug end going]

edited 2 say didnt read your user name [legacy] mines an impreza wrxmy96 so belt may be diffrent price.

[Edited by mr smash - 12/16/2003 12:28:00 AM]
Old 16 December 2003, 12:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
I had a quick search out of curiosity as there is no way a cambelt cost £100 when it costs as little as £20 for other cars.

and I found this: http://www.speedways.co.uk/shop/en-gb/dept_507.html

Half the price!

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/16/2003 12:46:18 AM]
Old 16 December 2003, 09:33 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Impreza belts seem to cost around £80 ( genuine Subaru I think ) and STi ( stronger ) about £95.
Plus labour ( a fair bit ?? ) or do it yourself.

No idea on legacy belts but guess similar ?

It IS a large belt though...!
Old 16 December 2003, 09:35 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Ohh yeah, if you try a compresion test with belt in its ( incorrect ) position, then more likely to do more damage if valve / piston contact HAD occurred, as turning engine over again and again!

Best to replace belt to right position first I think - if old once can be got off and refitted ?
Old 16 December 2003, 11:13 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Question

Probably a dumb question but are STi belts the same size as WRX belts?
Old 16 December 2003, 11:38 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Yep!

My WRX ( jap import ) had the STi belts fitted at the 45k service... the garage recommended them, on my approval as to extra (small) cost. I said yes!

No worries 30,000 miles later!

Think they are kevlar reinforced or similar due to STi bits being higher specified due to expected stresses on them.

I'll be doing same again at 90k service I reckon!

Old 16 December 2003, 11:45 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Try Graham Goode, they sell the Gates belt who apparently make the belts for Subaru. I've one sitting in the garage to be fitted over Christmas. Can't remember price but it was about 70 quid. Doa search on Gates on the bulletin board and you'll find loads of guys that swear by them.

Kevin.
Old 17 December 2003, 09:29 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

I pick up from Gates in Dumfries every day (got one as a freebie) There is NO difference between a WRX belt and a STI timing belt and a UK spec turbo Thats according to the Gates factory and they make the oe belts Phone about the motor factors and you should get one for about £50-£60

A replacment WRX (non sti) engine from Japcar in Hythe £950 inc delivery

Cheers Grunt
Old 17 December 2003, 10:28 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the belt has just jumped a tooth or two then refit it in correct postion to do the compression test..

As long as there are not teeth missing off it etc it should be fine imho for a compression test.. most likely the tensioner caused the problem not the belt.. although belt possibly now damaged etc..

Also when you compress the tensioner make sure you do it vertically otherwise they damage.

If you have slipped teeth though you might be wise replacing the tensioner, once you know if there is no damage to valves replace belt and tensioner.. like said Gates Belt and you can get a tensioner for £125.

Hope the valves are okay.. most of the Leg engines parts are the same btw..

JGM