o2 sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 08:30 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

To anyone who can help me...

My check engine light comes on on a "fairly regular" basis, and when i plug in my ecutek delta dash it displays that there is an o2 sensor code.

Does this mean that my o2 sensor is failing, or is it something else to do with the 02 readings??

If the o2 sensor is failing and needs replacing, what is the subaru part code for this (uk my00) and what is the one from halfords which i have heard about?

Also, on a uk my00 i assume that the o2 sensor is on the downpipe (can someone please clarify this)

regards

sly
Old 09 December 2003, 09:17 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Yes, the 02 sensor is the one you can just see on the turbo downpipe,by the heatshield.
part number 22690AA321.
The light can often come on if the engine is placed under load at low speeds and too high a gear, causes the exhaust gas readings to go over scale.
Old 09 December 2003, 09:24 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I believe the Subaru part is silly money, and don't know the code. Don't know about the Halfords part either, as the idiots near me had never heard of a lambda. I think they thought I was after a stupid young sheep... Anyway, click here for somewhere near you that definitely sells them. About £25.

You are correct in thinking it's in the down pipe. If you open the bonnet, and stand by your driver's side repeater, look under the intercooler, at the pipe just after the turbo and heatshield, and you'll see what looks like part of a spark plug sticking out the side with a wire connected to it. That's your o2 sensor (or lambda).

Regards,

Ade.
Old 09 December 2003, 09:49 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

The dealer fit variety works out at around £180 inc fitting, but last time I did some searches you could go for the Halfords variety (not a direct replacement, needs minor wiring change IIRC) or a Bosch one at approx £40 - which might be better.

Although for £25 you could 'gamble' really

Just to add that I never replaced mine in the end, just dismantled it and cleaned it with WD40 really well before resealing the thing - worked perfectly after that. ie. no more CEL
Old 10 December 2003, 08:20 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sly,
Just had mine changed by the local "dealer".
Genuine Subaru part was £99 minus the lads discount.
I was going to put the halfords jobbie in but was advised they don't last long due to the tempretures the Turbo creates.
I kept my old one (don't ask why).It doesn't give a CEL code due to its fault being giving a steady voltage reading rather than a fluctuating one.
If you want to borrow it to see if your code doesn't reaapear just shout.

Chris
Old 10 December 2003, 08:52 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

When mine "went" it was like that as well. No CEL, but when I fitted an AFR it was reading a steady 0.25v and slowly moving in the leaner direction. There were no symptoms though, so if I hadn't fitted the AFR, I wouldn't have known. The one I got was a universal from a motor factor, so interesting to see how long it lasts, although my EGTs may not be excessive enough to kill it quickly (only a handful of minor mods ).
Old 10 December 2003, 10:44 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Judge,
My sypmtoms came on gradually - loss of MPG.
@ 18 MPG without using the Turbo I decided enough was enough.
After having the new lambda fitted, I've managed an extra 70 miles from the first tankfull (and that includes a "spirited" run with Rusty around the lakes), so it should pay for itself before to long.

Chris

[Edited by SCOOBY TOWERS - 12/10/2003 10:59:29 AM]
Old 10 December 2003, 12:18 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Logically, what you've said should have been true for me as well. Especially considering the majority of my driving (8 miles each way too and from work) involves mainly closed-loop control. I doubt I hit open-loop any more than 10% of the total journey. Bloody traffic! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Maybe it's because my lambda was just about stoich, it wasn't drastically overfuelling...?

Regards,

Ade.
Old 10 December 2003, 05:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sly,
I rang Cheam Motors for an o2 sensor this morning, they guy on the phone reckons I should get it tomorrow!! Hows that for service! £99+vat! posted!
Old 10 December 2003, 08:19 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your reply's.

I have just purchased a afr gauge, so combined with delta dash i should be able to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

I will keep you posted.

sly
Old 18 December 2003, 09:13 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Hiya guys,

Just fitted my AFR gauge and i'm showing a wierd ready (sort of what i was expecting)...

It is showing that it's running lean (always in red on an autometer afr gauge). Doesn't move much when you boot it (stays in red)..

I would have expected the gauge to show always rich if my o2 sensor was failing.

Opinions & thoughts??

sly

(i haven't tryed that knacked 02 sensor yet chris to compair with)
Old 18 December 2003, 12:29 PM
gothinducky
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Have you thought about checking the MAF sensor? The main point of fitting an AFR meter to read the (working ;-))lambda output, is to show the mixture when on WOT. If the lambda and AFR are working correctly, then your MAF could be causing underfuelling?
I currently have a similar problem on my STi5, the MAF is new but my AFR is no longer reading anything. I think my recent downpipe/remap has finally killed the lambda (unless wiring has gone astray) ;-).
Old 19 December 2003, 08:39 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

That definitely sounds like a knackered sensor. Mine did exactly the same. It reads lean, 'cos it can't generate a voltage higher than that, irrespective of the AFR. Get it replaced, and you'll have the full disco effect.
Old 19 December 2003, 09:34 AM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

THE PARTY IS ON!! DISCO LIGHTS ARE BLAZING!!

Replaced my original lamba sensor for one of the halfords L300 sensors, only took about ten mins max.

The AFR is working perfectly now, cheers for all your advice

sly
Old 19 December 2003, 10:52 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular