Notices

prefered Knocklink setup...?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 04:33 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just fitted my Knocklink (sensor bolted onto the block under the right side of the intercooler - as per recommended location from various sources on here...) and I've heard a few different ways of running it..

1)some people recommend leaving it on Max Sensitivity, and when it's hitting "red" (usually above 6,500rpm and 3rd or higher gear) then not pushing it as much (release Throttle /change up )..

2)according to the instructions that come with the KL, it recommends that calibrate it by having the box set to Max Sensitivity, then drive around at 75% Full Power (WoT), this should display "red", then turn the sensitivity down so that only the greens leds show when on 75% WoT ..

What is better, 1 or 2 ?

cheers,
simon.

[Edited by snowcrash - 12/8/2003 4:34:19 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 05:02 PM
ZippyEFC
Scooby Regular

I'm going to fit mine tomorrow and i will be doing option 2.
Old 08 December 2003, 08:03 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

anyone else got any opinions ..?
Old 08 December 2003, 09:16 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I'll be doing no.2 as well.
Old 09 December 2003, 12:27 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I've got it set as option (1)

Just because i think it'll give me an earlier warning when things get noisey under the bonnet or even if its actually detting.

Set at max sensitivity (sp) i get both amber lights to come on at around 6-7k revs, and when without booster i get det... so if i lowered sensitivity the warning from my KL would be delayed...

I'd sugest you leave it at max sensitivity and see if you see activity on the LED's if ther's lots of acticivity and you dont suspect DET then lower the KL sensitivity otherwise if ther's little activity and it only accurs at high revs then maybe its better to leave at max sensitivity?

[Edited by Franko - 12/9/2003 12:36:53 AM]
Old 09 December 2003, 08:44 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

The only problem with option 2 is you might not even get the first green to flash, let alone red. Mine certainly doesn't. Mine needs foot to the floor to make any LEDs light up. Then it's all down to a number of variables as to which lights up. Personally, I don't think you can go far wrong with it set to max sensitivity.
Old 10 December 2003, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems that you are pushing your luck using the red KL light as a change gear indicator, even on max sensitivity. It is quite possible that your engine is experiencing severe detonation and the next indication from the engine will be really expensive to put right!

Les
Old 10 December 2003, 12:43 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

That would indeed be asking for trouble...

I personally used mine (initially, and with the aid of a boost gauge) to set a "safe" boost level, without the need for a fuel pump/regulator or a remap. Once I got no lights other than a flickering second green (at any revs, in any gear), I stopped adjusting the boost level and left it alone.

All I do now is monitor for spikes. So far *touching wood* I don't get any spikes at any revs in any gear. If the time comes when I do, I'll either turn the boost down some more, or go down the fuel pump/regulator root, or better still, when I can afford it, a remap.

The "flickering second green" may not be the safest method of setting boost level, but it's better than nothing! I think I'm being reasonably cautious, with a modest boost level, and the slightly richer/more retardable AE802.

If, on the other hand, I'm not being cautious enough, and I do melt a piston, I'll be sure to let you know!

Regards,

Ade.