STI8 exhaust/remap

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 11:50 AM
dlehtihet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All,

I'm thinking about doing something about the exhaust on my my03 sti but have heard that this model "pinks" easily when stressed this way. I assume that a change of fuel pump/injectors is the correct way to go. What have you done to increase torque/bhp reliably (if anyone has)? What kind of margin does the car have when it comes to injector utilization?

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08 December 2003, 12:42 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Daniel from what have heard you can change exhaust even full decat if you keep under control boost with wider restrictor size or in worse case with ported turbo exit(have been reported many boost creep/spike problems with aftermarket exhausts on this car).
Of course a new fuel pump required before any modification as precaution.
May be the professionals can help you more...
JIM
Old 08 December 2003, 01:08 PM
dlehtihet
Scooby Regular

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I've read about the restrictor size before and i assume that it is vitally involved in this somehow. I have heard rumors that the STI is extremely sensitive when it comes to free-flowing exhausts. Would swapping Dp and backbox make any difference (with the middle cat still in place) with regard to "pinking". Is it difficult to exchange the restrictor for another one, more suited to the new pipework?

Kind regards

Daniel
Old 08 December 2003, 01:21 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Just fitting a replacement backbox should be okay.

However if you replace the entire exhaust system the standard ECU struggles to control the boost and causes spikes.

Using restrictors to control the boost spikes is not reliable and could cause your engine to go bang!

To be 100% safe you need to have the ECU remapped after fitting the replacement exhaust system.

The preferred option would be to use ECUTEK www.ecutek.com, as used by Prodrive for the PPP. The website will tell you if there is a local agent.

Another solution might be to fit the Prodrive Performance Pack, I think they will sell direct to overseas customers. www.prodrive.com

Mark

[Edited by Dark - 12/8/2003 1:25:08 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 02:54 PM
dlehtihet
Scooby Regular

Cheers mates,

Was planning to start easy with an exhaust swap, but will do the remap at the same time. On my previous car (MY00) i started with the exhaust part (which worked just fine, btw) and finally got a Tek3 map. The danger in all this is that when you have done the "full monty" (well, not really but you know what i mean ;-)), you get used to the enhancements to quickly with nothing more to look forward to than a very deep hole in your wallet when you start doing the pistons, conrods, fmic, etc, etc.. LOL

Kind regards

Daniel