Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STi8 vs MY03 WRX PPP - now I'm unsure......

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 10:03 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hmmm.

From being fairly certain that I wanted to move to an STi8 (from a MY99) in the very near future, the news of a PPP for the new WRX has made me a little unsure.

Going to be a bit of a price differential between the two MY03 cars and am trying to convince myself (or is that really my other half ?? )that the extra for the STi8 is justified.

Any views??

Have only test driven the STi8 to date but was pretty impressed, though the wobbling bonnet scoop caught my eye more often than it should have done.

I'm sure that when I was at TSL last week Graham C mentioned that the STi8 would be receiving a suspension mod in April - or was I dreaming at this point??

Hugh
Old 27 February 2003, 10:14 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Graham said the same to me hence I am waiting until Aug/Sept fro my Sti8

Phil
Old 28 February 2003, 01:29 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

interesting thing this.

03 WRX or STi 8. hmmm

Well, things the '8' has that the WRX does not (might not be correct on all of em, and the list is not exhaustive)

VVC - or whatever it is called
IC water spray
bigger IC
Brembo brakes
front suretrac diff
suspension changes
and other bits and bobs

I think, and not sure, it has a variable diff control, or is that just the JDM and USA Sti's? not sure

It is a hard choice between WRX PPP and STi.

My thoughts would be, how much would it cost to get a WRX to the same level in terms of handling and performance as an STi, or an STi with PPP?

now, to do that might invalidate warranrty so could be a moot point, but if not, then if it was cheaper to mod the WRX, then you could go that way.

Personally I'd save some more cash and get an STi 8 with PPP, my reason? well, get the best money can buy at the time.

Though the WRX is still a mighty fine car and I'd not kick it out of bed in the morning, so to speak
Old 28 February 2003, 01:49 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I have heard that the WRX03PP will pip the STI803PPpin the 0-60mph run and the 0-100mph run. But that's in a straight line

Tomy
Old 28 February 2003, 07:04 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Suretrac, Quickrack, brakes that will stand up to anything you can throw at em in fast road use and probably handle trackdays, 6 speed box...enough there to warrant the cost diff and then you can add the nice small sterring wheel which really is the cherry on top. I don't regret the blobbysti at all and get the PPP in a couple weeks anyway
C
Old 28 February 2003, 07:39 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

I can't believe this thread, what is everyone getting so confused about. Just because you add another 15bhp onto the original PPP does not mean that he WRX has become an STi. This max power approach were you just up the power means nothing, one of the most important things is the brakes and suspension. So I would hope that all those people that are putting on PPP will also be getting a prodive brake upgrade and suspension upgrade. Plus there are a load of other equipment that the STi has that the WRX will not.

So the STi is actually better value when you look at it as a complete package.
Old 28 February 2003, 07:47 AM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Red face

Apologies for offending you Boyakaska !! Shouldn't that have been an exasperated 'I don't believe it' in Victor Meldrew stylee??

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think that they confirm my initial reaction that the STi8 is broadly worth the difference given the overall package.

Trip to Quenbys at lunchtime I think.

Hugh
Old 28 February 2003, 07:54 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

lol Hugh, "I Don't believe it"
Old 28 February 2003, 08:01 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Huge

Go for the STI. You know you want to.
The STI 8's 0-60 is rated at 5.5(Subaru website) and the PPP'd WRX is 4.8. That's 0.7 seconds difference, what i'm struggling with is how the PPP'd WRX is that much faster with 10 less Bhp and 10lb more torque

Also, remember the STI is'nt modified which may help insurance and resale.
Old 28 February 2003, 08:13 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

WRX is lighter by approx 80kg..... (anyone got the exact weights?)

J
Old 28 February 2003, 08:14 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

PPP'd WRX has a better power delivery, strangled STI is peaky compared so 10bhp on top won't make it sprint quicker Neil - that;s my theory anyway.
I'll bet Evo rates the PPP'd WRX over the PPP'd STI.
C
Old 28 February 2003, 08:15 AM
Wrath
Scooby Newbie

Neil, the WRX weighs some 75kg less than the STi if i'm not mistaken, that could explain it.

WRX saloon 1395kg
STi sallon 1470kg

bah, Scoobysnack beat meh too it

[Edited by Wrath - 2/28/2003 8:16:03 AM]
Old 28 February 2003, 08:15 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

STi = 1470kgs
WRX = 1395kgs
WRX Wagon = 1410kgs

Courtsey of MJW

J
Old 28 February 2003, 08:20 AM
storm555
Scooby Regular

I drive a MY01 WRX and drove a STi7 a while back and whilst very fast it was just to hard in terms of susepnsion, I felt every bump. The WRX isn't as quick but for day to day is so much comfer. Fit it with the PPP and think you have a much better all round car IMHO.
Old 28 February 2003, 09:04 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

So what would a WRX with 276bhp and 260 lb/ft and 1240kgs do 0-60 and 0-100 ?
Old 28 February 2003, 09:06 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Quiet in the cheap seats. *mutter*Dirty import owner*mutter*
Rgds
Chuckster
Old 28 February 2003, 09:33 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Some points missed perhaps.

Comparison must surely be WRX 03 PPP @ £21,595 - v - Standard STI8 @£24,995.

Thats £3,000 cheaper for higher power/torque to weight ratios, and presumably much better torque characteristics. Fully warranted .

The PPP STI8 is going to turn the tables, but its £5,000 more than a PPP WRX, so it really should..LOL...

Now, I appreciate the differences with the front diff, suspension, brakes, etc, but on day to day roads (remember most owners will never go near a track) the standard WRX is more than adequate. In some cases, its set up may be better.

Add some 18's and a big spoiler and for, say, £1,500 less than a non PPP STI08 you've got, in the real world where driveability and low down torque come into it, a quicker car which looks every bit as good as an STI8. Oh, and in a wider choice of colours.

And probably cheaper to insure as well.

Now having said all that, I'd probably try to find the extra cash and go with the STI, just because it represents the ultimate UK off the shelf Impreza - not out of snobbery, but as a petrol head and a Scooby fan. I'd then sell my self for the PPP if I couldn't find the cash somewhere.

But if I couldn't find the extra for the PPP it would be a close call.

But for most people, my reasoning doesn't apply, and they will be more than happy with a PPP WRX which costs less and will be, in reality, quicker than the STI.

Its a seriously interesting issue

One things for sure, for £1,600, the WRX will be lifted way above the ranks of FocusRS, Seat Leon Cupra R, Audi S3 and the like

D

Old 28 February 2003, 09:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The brakes, diffs and quick rack alone is worth 3 grand IMHO. Add the gearbox and it's no contest. Not sure about suspension myself tho - that really is the only detractor.

I'm very interested to hear about suspension mods. Suspect that something will be done to the dampers after that extended test drive...

Test drive both, go with the one you like. I make it sound so easy, don't I ?
Cheers,
Nick.

[Edited by chiark - 2/28/2003 9:42:25 AM]
Old 28 February 2003, 09:55 AM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

I pick my STi8 up today on trade plates and will have the PPP fitted in three weeks.

I am still convinced that the STi is a good value for money package, but let's be honest guys, if the extra few grand for the STi is not available then you'll get a fantastic car with the WRX PPP.

Its all personal choice but one thing to mention is the higher residual you'll get on the STi along with all the technical benefits.
Old 28 February 2003, 10:24 AM
lucky_golf
Scooby Regular

Can somebody tell me what the BHP and torque would be on a MY03 WRX PPP compared to an STI 8 with no PPP.

Interesting topic and many people will be in two minds as to which route to go down....unless cash is no object!

Cheers
Old 28 February 2003, 10:24 AM
hugebeef
Scooby Regular

I’ve got to agree with the Chuckster. After Evo’s test of the STI this month I can see them hailing the PPPed WRX as a cheap and usable performance car that you can drive everyday which not only whoops the R32, but also the STI.

For me, an imported WRX at £16k plus 2K PPP makes a pretty convincing 18K B-road slayer.

Huge Beef
Old 28 February 2003, 10:29 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I wonder wether WRX&PPP&bigger wheels would be cheaper to insure than the 'standard' STi? Maybe rum can comment?

I would guess the STi would be cheaper, as you get a fair loading for 'mods'

cheers,

greg
Old 28 February 2003, 12:36 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Greg, thats what I was wondering...Went to a dealer yesterday and booked a testdrive - just need to confirm whether its for the WRX or STi (although I will probably drive both eventually) and we were talking about this very pack - but he had no idea (or he couldnt say for certain) how the insurance on a PPP'ed WRX would compare to the standard STi.

Logically, in my mind, the STi should still be more expensive given the further upgrades it has and the fact visually it is the 'higher' model and more nickable.

But since when has insurance been logical?!!

As always, I guess it depends on the company - insight from Rum or someone helpful would be nice - pretty please!

[Edited by JohnMcC - 2/28/2003 12:37:17 PM]
Old 28 February 2003, 12:53 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

You must also take into account resale value. A wrx with PPP in my opinon will not add that much value to the car at resale compared to a standard STI8 holding its value better.

But I have ordered a wrx as I cant afford to buy a Sti 8 outright and do not finance cars. Do I want one sure who doesnt.

Anybody know if the PPP is available for EU imported cars from Belgium and does it make the Belgium warranty invalid. As im guessing PPP isnt available in Belgium or is it ???. And im guessing they just see it as a unsupported modification. Will Uk dealers supply and fit or do you have to take Eu cars to prodrive ??.

But I do agree that a wrx + PPP is still cheaper even if you go for the SL model than an R32 and much the better car. At least you know the coils will not be popping randomly. (anybody else see watchdog).
Old 28 February 2003, 01:42 PM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

I would hazard that for most people - for 99% of their time on the road - the main thing they will notice the difference on is ride quality.

I drove both (non PPP) back to back a couple of weeks ago. The WRX is a much easier ride, as you would expect. The STI tends to tramline and tranfers every tarmac ripple direct to your butt! Personally I would find that hard to live with day in and day out (maybe I am just getting old )

I reckon the STI is only around to keep up with the Evo - most everyday drivers would be better off in the WRX (with PPP, of course )
Old 28 February 2003, 02:01 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Please tell me where you can get an imported WRX for 16k given that the exchange rate is around 1.45 !!!!!!

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 28 February 2003, 02:03 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

No point buying an STI without PPP IMHO, as they are almost undriveable due to the distinct lack of torque at low revs. Fine if you blat the thing everywhere, but if you want to use it as an everyday car, it becomes very frustrating and tiring.

The new PPP for the WRX sounds excellent, and if the car drives as the figures suggest, I think it may well end up taking of lot of potential STI customers.

Sounds a great package, and I will be trying one at the earliest oppotunity.
Old 28 February 2003, 02:07 PM
lucky_golf
Scooby Regular

Me too Russell. ps r u anywhere near the Forest of dean?
Old 28 February 2003, 02:27 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pbee

The PPP is available for cars imported from Benelux.

However, to keep your warranty you must take the car back across the water and have it fitted over there. Please contact the dealer you bought the car from for pricing etc.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 28 February 2003, 02:29 PM
storm555
Scooby Regular

Nick, sure its in the thread but can the new PPP be fitted to MY01 WRX?

Quick Reply: STi8 vs MY03 WRX PPP - now I'm unsure......