Notices

Overboost Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 07:42 AM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a boost problem on a 98 Wagon (Std apart from decat & airfilter). Normally boost peaks at around 14.5 psi and then tails back to around 12 at high revs. Last night boost was cutting out during acceleration, and when I looked at the gauge I was getting 18psi before the cut-out. I assume its something to do with the boost conroller on the drivers side bulhead - can these be repaired, or lubricated etc?? or is the problem somewhere else??

Cheers

Chris
Old 04 December 2003, 08:40 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

May need the solenoid cleaning out due to oil residue, so can either remove and clean, or use "check connectors" unders drivers side of dash board, click together, leave to run for a few minutes, then disconnect again, see how that goes. May also need a lower fuel grade as weather is cold and damp, may also be adding to problem.
Old 04 December 2003, 03:15 PM
MadMax-STI
Scooby Newbie

clean out boost pressure controller valve mate, and run ya oil level half way between min and max, if you run it on max oil breathers will breath into pressure sensor (controller) and yal get too much boost. ie the mother cuts out and bak on in 1 second and can knock ya diff out and bugga gearbox
Old 04 December 2003, 07:01 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Nice one, cheers for your help.. Thats a job for tomorrow night..

Chris
Old 06 December 2003, 02:50 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Can I have a bit more info on exactly what gets clogged up, I took the whole contol assembly off the car and basically there are 2 solenoid valves, 3 or 4 electrical connectors and a whole load of vacuum lines which go to the wastegate/oil breather etc..

One of the valves (the bigger one)is metal, and the other is plastic with small gauge tubing.. They both seem to be sealed units.. All of the tubes seem to be fairly clean, so whats the best thing to do??

Anyone done this?

Cheers

Chris
Old 09 December 2003, 12:21 PM
Dicke C
Scooby Regular

Chris,
I had the same problem when I had the car. Under the steering wheel there are the 2 black and green connector's. Just connect them together and the valve will start clicking(fan comes on as well). With the rubber hoses off, just spray carb cleaner etc into the housing.
When I did it there did not appear to be much crap come out, so I think the valve was just sticking.
Hope everthing else is OK.

Dicke C
Old 11 December 2003, 12:02 AM
DJB
Scooby Regular

The other source of this problem is the restrictor. This is a small brass coloured piece of metal hidden in the rubber pipe which runs between the inlet manifold and the waste-gate actuator. It has a small hole in it which allows boost to build more quickly and not activate the actuator too early. If the hole is blocked or narrowed, this can cause overboost.

D.
Old 12 December 2003, 06:59 PM
big500
Scooby Regular

Also check for a split or leaking pipe between the boost control solenoid ( the thing that looks about the size of a half packet of smarties on the drivers side suspension turret ) and the wastegate actuator / inlet manifold.
If the pipes are ok do a search on here for "cleaning the boost solenoid"
If you do decide to clean it with say "carb cleaner" wear some goggles as it fecking kills in yer mince pies

Steve
Old 13 December 2003, 01:03 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Thanks.... The problem does seem to have stopped, maybe it was the magic "tap" of the valve on the bench!!

DickeC - Yes the cars going well thanks, had all the dents removed, used the guy I usually use and hes done an unbelievable job.. Just got back from the 52.5k service so thats all sorted.. Im going to get a set of F1's or Toyos in January..

Golf going well?

Chris