Notices

front mounts ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2003, 10:10 PM
Antilag man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 99 classic shape turbo and am thinking of fitting a front mount intercooler, can any give advise on whhich one to go for ?

HKS, BLITZ , APS etc
Old 27 November 2003, 10:58 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

I dont know exactly what particular items are included in these kits, but I would make sure that the kit you choose uses "solid" link pipes to join the front cooler to the turbo and back and NOT those silly silicon flexi hoses which simply blow up like a balloon when the turbo "boosts", otherwise you are wasting the boost pressure expanding the hoses instead of forcing the air into the engine where its needed the most.
So check the kits before you buy.
Old 27 November 2003, 11:16 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Not sure about the problem with the silicon hoses. Personally I'd be more worried about the fact that a lot of FMICs - otherwise known as the things that stop high-speed stones - have very weak fins.
There are just too many people with high power cars, including the nutter Harvey car that use the 'flexi'-hoses. I'm not convinced they actually even flex/expand, or at least not to the point of causing any problems. Never heard of one blowing, and again taking Harvey & his car as an example, he is meticulous about all the bits & bobs & still uses the 'standard' silicon hoses. I'm sure he won't mind a pointer to his site .
Old 28 November 2003, 12:45 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Nom:I burst one of my bottom silicone pipes as it took hammer from road debris over a period and was too close to my recently fitted tubular headers. No big deal. Replaced it with a section of silicone but applied exhaust wrap and tied it back to the tow eye and away from the heat.Original problem was down to bad fitting by me of a less than ideal pipe route by APS. Bought a meter of silicone pipe, cheap as a spares source but not had to use it.
I think stories of lag due to silicone pipes expanding are old wives tales, no disrespect intended, just my experience. Work it out for yourself and compare the extra air in an expanded silicone pipe run with the actual amount flowing and I defy any driver to be able to detect such a small percentage.
What is more important is smooth pipe run and no tight turns and obviously adequate diameter. 180 deg turns are bad news.
If you use a soft core like HKS some protection is advisable but that reduces efficiency. I am no APS fan but over 18mths fully open I have had no damage. Hyperflow also have a good core but both of these are expensive and I am looking at various cheaper options for the WRX Wagon I also have as a second car. Greddy from the States or possibly Hybrid or even Blitz, again from the States where things can be cheaper. $700-900. No idea if they are any good yet.