Notices

BOLLOCKS, BOLLOCKS, BOLLOCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2003, 10:28 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Ow bugger,went to listers in worcs to pick up a gutter strip moulding for my car and mentioned it was making a bit of a knocking sound, as if the exhaust was loose.
The guys were really helpful and got the car on the ramps straight away- only took them about 30 seconds to find what was wrong....

It would appear that after having my recent service where the clutch was replaced and the seals between the sump and gearbox done the bolt on the left hand side that holds the reargearbox crossmember is not tightening properly. This means the whole crosmember is rattling and is in danger of coming away and the gearbox and driveshaft dropping out of the bottom of my car

The mechanic at listers didn't want to take the bolt out on case it wouldn't go back in so doesn't know if it's the bolt that is knackered (fingers crossed) or the threads in the chassis!

I'm assuming this doesn't happen very often so i was wondering if anybody knew if it would be possible to re-tap the chassis threads if they were knackered or if this is going to cost me an arm and a leg

The work was done at cd brammalls in cheltenham so it's going back there tomorrow to sort it out but any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Cheers Jam

[Edited by gljam - 11/26/2003 10:29:15 PM]
Old 26 November 2003, 10:38 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'if' the thread is knackered, there's no reason at-all why they shouldn't be able to re-tap a thread, (maybe a different one) into the chassis, to any competant mechanic, it should be a doddle!!
Old 27 November 2003, 09:10 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

or you could always have it helicoiled.
Old 27 November 2003, 12:46 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shame you should mention a certain dealership not to far away from me. I have been using them since I got my Scooby but I must say they never exactly fill me with confidence.

Was going to go elsewhere in future but got offered 10% off the next service.

Hope you get it sorted out okay.
Old 27 November 2003, 01:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had real trouble getting the bolts back in mine when I changed my clutch.. the bolts just jammed and had to be removed and retried many times before I was happy it was not cross threading.

As said it shouldn't be see back to sort.

JGM
Old 27 November 2003, 01:23 PM
RB5#111
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate hope it gets sorted very soon.
My cars with CD Sh!thole at the moment there are absolute muppets hav'nt got a clue what their on about they sold me a car with several faults on it even thought as its an approved used Subaru it had to pass a, and i qoute "Rigourous multipoint check" write a complaint to Subaru UK as i am currently doing.
WARNING - NEVER EVER GO THERE !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 November 2003, 03:54 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers for the replies everyone, took it in today and they said that a captive nut that is welded to the inside of the chassis has broken its welds so the nut and bolt just spin around.
They said there was nothing they could do there and i will have to find a bodyshop to sort it
I've had enough of them now, every time my cars gone in there has been another problem, i'll now be taking my business to Listers in worcs

Cheers once again for the replies, Jam

Trending Topics

Old 27 November 2003, 04:30 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sounds like it was overtightned and either weakend or snapped the weld on the nut. I would have hoped that they used a torque wrench but who knows

Bit concerned now, knew I should have gone somewhere else having been mucked around once already. Unfortunatly it's already booked.

[Edited by Graz - 11/27/2003 4:34:01 PM]
Old 27 November 2003, 05:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i've seen that once on a subaru the job done else where but came to us to be sorted out we gave them the option of a bodyshop or to drill through to the nut from inside the car reweld the nut then weld a plate over the hole. they went for thr second option because of price and you would never know unless you take the carpet out of the footwell and remove the ecu.
Old 27 November 2003, 08:01 PM
RB5#111
Scooby Regular

Angry

They get even better, i refused to take my car away from them today as they have put on a full standard twin pea-shooter of a turbo exhaust on mine today WRONG F'ING ONE!!!!
Now ordering me a downpipe back WR sport/Prodrive one as i have the PPP, this is beyond a joke now.
Absolute muppets even the service manager has no technical knowledge at all, they replaced the full system inc the two cat's on mine as they said this is the cause of the misfire, when i asked them to show me with a timing light that its not misfiring he said he has never heard of a timing light before and they do not have one!!!!!!
When i asked him how he knows my car is now not misfiring as they have no timing light he went all quiet and changed the subject.
I strongly recommend not going there at all they are absolutley appalling, i for one am in the process of writing a complaint to CD Bramall plc and Subaru UK.
Old 27 November 2003, 10:13 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Scoobyboy, this way of doing it by cutting a hole, is it difficult or can anyone with a bit of sense do it? I wouldn't have a go myself but might try a garage, will it weaken the chassis or cause any other problems??

RB5 i know how you feel, i've only got a GL but still feel they wouldn't know one end from the other, i only went there to start with because they were the only subaru dealership i knew of, and i've only been back since for them to sort out their mistakes

Good luck with chasing them up, muppets.
Old 27 November 2003, 11:49 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Lister aint that much better, all good guys but they ripped my mud flap ( yup those expensive STI one's)said they would replace them. 3 months down the line and still no mud flap I phone them up once a week and keep getting fobbed off, guess Im to nice should start going mad
Old 28 November 2003, 06:20 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

it's not difficult a bit of measuring to make sure you are in the right area then a small hole first to make sure your in the box section then we used a christmas tree hole cutter to make it big enough to get the welder nozzle in. you do obviously have to hold the nut still which we did by dropping the cross member and starting the nut on to the bolt then a couple of quick zaps and it's done just bolt it all back together and weld a plate over the hole your not drilling a hole in to the chassis only through the floor pan so it shouldn't weaken it and you weld a plate over it so it should be just as strong and if you do it right you cant even see a hole from underneath only if you get the measuring wrong and the small pilot misses the box section just put some silicone over it and a bit of underseal and no one would notice.
Old 28 November 2003, 09:23 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply scoobyboy, i'll start hunting for someone i trust to start hacking my motor apart!!
Old 29 November 2003, 09:49 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I posted up my thoughts on this Dealer when I bought my car just over a year ago, was a pretty new dealership at that point.
I have yet to hear some good feedback on this excuse for a subaru dealership. (being v-local to this dealer you tend to keep up with the goings on there.

As said, I wouldn't go there if someone paid me to !
The only thing useful to me is the parts dept.
but anything technical, I'd go to Listers, much more freindly and helpful bunch.

Andy
Old 29 November 2003, 12:38 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Agree, they were useless both when i tried to get the alarm-shielding mod and also wiith MAF problem.

Showell's in stourbridge always sort it out with minimal fuss and cover warranty with modded exhaust etc.

Andy
Old 29 November 2003, 01:03 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Old 29 November 2003, 05:34 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
andy,

helpful... unless it's a Friday, and your car has been smelling heavily of fuel and they will not believe you!!! ;-)
Old 29 November 2003, 08:35 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Jesus, are there any decent places to take my car round here??
I'm beginning to think i may as well take it to the dodgy back street garage round the corner!
Old 30 November 2003, 08:58 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Darren: Well I once turned up at 5 to 6 on a fri to pick my car up - don't think they were overly impressed as they probs wanted to knock off early

Andy