Notices

Legacy drainage channels

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2001, 05:22 PM
PeeK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone tell me if there are drainage channels at the rear of the my 92 Legacy turbo saloon?

I have found and cleared the front ones which were located just inside the sunroof and ran down to the inside of the front wheel arches but have not found the rear ones.

Are there any?

Thanks.
Old 09 June 2001, 02:38 AM
RS STi
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi PeeK,

Sunroof leaking right front corner?

There are two drains at the rear of the car, they run down the C pillars and exit behind the rear wheels. The easiest way to check for blockage is to remove the left and right boot trims, you should then spot the drainage hoses, you can then pull the hose out and either run compressed air (low pressure only) or blow through the hose with your mouth. After replacing the hoses you need to slide under the rear of the car to look for rubber grommets either side of the car, take them out and clean them. I found that the hoses were clear but the grommets were blocked.

This wont fix your leak. I think I've stopped mine (fingers crossed). I noticed water coming in from under the right hand slide rail so I loosened the rail and ran a silicon underneath and it has not leaked yet.

Tell me how you go.
Old 11 June 2001, 11:34 AM
PeeK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi, RS STi

"Sunroof leaking right front corner?"

Yes, its the right hand corner! There's an inch split in the rubber around sunroof. I wanted to check the channels to see if this would help but couldn't find the rear ones.

I'll let you know how I get on with this. It may end up with me silicon sealing the whole sunroof!

Thanks a lot for the advice,
PeeK.
Old 12 June 2001, 05:43 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

This is a common problem with legacy sunroofs . The only way to seal it properly is to remove it . This takes an experienced scooby mechanic a full day if all goes well and is not a job for the novice . If you don't refit the seals properly it will leak even worse . The whole back seat has to come out to remove the headlining !
After mine started to leak I simply sealed round it with black silicone and unplugged the switches so nobody could open it . I don't use the darn thing anyway with the nice 'dry' weather we have here .
Old 12 June 2001, 01:12 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I sorted the leaks on my Legacy. I found the foam strip under the al.alloy channels had hardened with age and cracked. This let the water through. I used lots of applications of a product called Seek n Seal for windscreens. I parked the car on the road with the slope that caused the greatest leaks and used repeated treatment loads of times. Sorted, or at least no problems for the last year.
I hope this helps
Alex
Old 13 June 2001, 02:55 AM
RS STi
Scooby Newbie

I found the same problem Shimster, I resealed the alloy channel and I hasn't leaked since.

Instead of using silicon to seal the roof shut, why not try using grease around the top of the seal for the winter months, then when summer comes you can wipe the grease off and use your roof again.
Old 13 June 2001, 09:38 AM
PeeK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the good advice fellas.

Shimster,RS STi, was the foam under the alloy runner very compressed, dry and black in colour? It looks like mine is the same. I'll give your Seek n Seal a try I think.

Peek.