Notices

WHICH TYRES

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2001, 09:19 PM
darren johnson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I,M IN NEED OF NEW RUBBER AND NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO GO FOR THE CAR IS MY 97 AND I INTEND TO DO ROUGHLY 6-8 TRACK DAYS PER YEAR PLUS STANDARD MILAGE I WAS THINKING OF TOYO,S OR BRIDGESTONE POTENZA,S BUT MY LOCAL TYRE PLACE HAVE ADVISED ME TO GO FOR FALKENS THERE CHEAP (so 2-3 sets a year would be pretty resonable) AND AS I,M TOLD ONE OF THE MOST STICKEY TYRES ON THE MARKET ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Old 09 June 2001, 12:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darren, if you serious about doing track days I'd recommend buying a 2nd-hand set of wheels and tyres. If you can afford it, go for slicks as they'll last much longer and they'll give you loads more grip.

If that sounds too expensive then a cheaper set of tyres would be sound advice, but personally I think it's a false economy. £400 can easily get you 4x17" wheels/tyres. You'll pay that for your first set of brand new tyres.

The Bridgestones appear to be far too soft for tracks and you'll probably destroy a set after a couple of outings. Some have gone through a set after spending the day on track.

If I were you I'd shell out on some cheap alloys and fit them with some track-only tyres. Then get a set of SO2/S03 for normal driving. You'll have the best of both worlds and you'll not have to worry about damaging your nice alloys.

Stefan
Old 10 June 2001, 03:47 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got rid of my falkens and got Yokohama A539's instead. The falkens were alright in the dry and mine seem to have lasted for ages but they let go far to easily in the wet. Only had my new ones fitted yesterday but wet weather grip is very, very good. Even in the rain last night, when I floored it in second, the car hardly lost any grip at all, plus loads less understeer on roundabouts.

No doubt everyone else will have their favourites but I think you should get the best tyres you can afford. Remember, it's onlythe tyres keeping you on the road and not in a hedge

Cost me £428 all in (This included swapping the falkens onto a spare set of wheels for next fridays trackday)