Power Steering Qs

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 10:09 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

morning,

OK, a while ago I said that when I accelerated and turned the wheel, even slightly I got whine from *somewhere* and when stopped if I turned the steering there was a pronounced noise.

Turned out PAS fluid was low, so topped up with Dextrol III (or whatever it's called) seemed to fix it.

It came back again, topped up fluid as was low, sorted.

Now its come back once again. Check the PAS fluid and its way, way below the marked, hot or cold marker!

Now, I know these babies use oil, but how much PAS fluid do they use? can't be a lot.

I'm guessing that I've got a leak somewhere in the system. There was a small ( 5cm across) patch of *something* under the car this morning but I did not have time to check what it was, but I do suspect PAS fluid.

So, questions;
am I paranoid, or do scoobs happen to drink PAS fluid like it's going out of fashion?

Where's the leak most likely to come from (yeah, a nice easy one for u!) pump? resivoir (same thing?)

I did have steering gaitor replaced at service, that anything to do with PAS system?

Could it be the steering rack that's actually the cause.

Any tips for things to check for? Please bear in mind that I'm not that mechanically estute, can just about wield a screwdriver. So any info in B I G L E T T E R S, and nice and clear

thanks for any info.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Here my two penneth.
IMHO
To my knowledge Scoobys do not really 'use' stering fluid, for that matter i do not think any car does use much at all. Unusual for the fluid to run low so quickly so it does sound like you may have a leak.

You say that you had a steering gaiter replaced recently, this may be where the problem started the gaiter sits on the end of the steering rack and covers/protects the rod which moves the front wheels. the PS fluid effectively drives this rod. It could be that they disturbed the rod and inadvertantly damaged the seals on the steering rack or disturbed the pipes connecting the pump to the rack.

Other thoughts
Perished/damaged pipes
loose clips holding the pipes on
Worn out rack
Worn/leaky pump
Old 23 May 2001, 03:25 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Unhappy

Markus, I'm in the same boat mate.

Took it to a certain Mr Lawson the other day and he said it needed a new rack, not cheap and it won't pass the MOT in its current state

So I'm saving my pennies and keeping shares in Dexron up at the mo...

Trackdays on hold

Justin
Old 23 May 2001, 04:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Justin,
thanks,

passed my MOT about a month ago, so that was kinda ok.

If mr Lawson says it's a rack, who are we to doubt it.

fancy tell me (email if you want) how much he reckons a new rack is, coz I'm loaded with cash (<B>not</B>) at the moment and might as well spend us much on the scoob as possible (got a possible 2k ish damge repair estimate coming )