Notices

Wastegate solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2001, 05:03 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got any underbonnet pics that could be used as a guide for cleaning the wastegate solenoid? or a detailed description. I have no idea what one looks like.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 09 March 2001, 05:17 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Pete,

Go to
Old 09 March 2001, 05:39 PM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich, but I cant follow that link.

Could you check and repost please?????

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 09 March 2001, 07:00 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Pete, where in London are you? I could do it if you want....

Otherwise this is the simplistic way of doing it.

The wastegate solenoid is the thing that is connected right next to your air box/induction kit. If your looing at the front of the engine it is on your left connected with two nuts holding it on and has two (on my MY97 WRX it is a twin port solenoid) pipes coming off the bottom. It looks like a small little barrel shaped object (in an upright postion), the pipes coming off the bottom, one straight down and one off at a right angle heading towards the turbo.
Remove the two nuts (8mm i think)

Remove the pipes from the bottom of the solenoid and remove them from the runners they are running through and follow them to the pipe going to the turbo (on a t-piece) and then onto the pipe coming from the airbox area.... flush these out with brake cleaner and leave to dry. Easy part!

Slightly harder, but not rocket science bit

Now, underneath the pedals (you need to get right into the footwell and look up with a torch for two small green connectors that are not connected at all-Find them and connect them with the ignition off...

The solenoid has two small pipes coming off of it...simply spray brake cleaner into the pipes and turn the igntion on...that will now start the solenoid pulse and begin to start tick and then gurgle as it cleans inside from contamination (the cycle starts and you hear the fans come on and go through a procedure) If the solenoid id not ticking at this point spray more cleaner into the pipes on the actual solenoid and before you know it all this cack and minging oil will spurt out and hit you in the eye-If you look at it closely enough-Avoid doing this.

Only let the cycle go for a couple of minutes and then simply turn your ignition off and then disconnect the two green connectors, you may have to root around for these but they are normally right up by the top of the clutch/brake pedal and zip tied together out of the way.

Once the muck and cleaner has all gone and dried wipe all excess brake cleaner off any body work and be carefull with it, its flammable.

Connect the pipe up and make sure they are back on the solenoid fully, not just lightly pushed on.

Then go to a straigh piece of road, floor it and feel that held boost again

Brought to you in association with Blue Peter

Regards
Ronnie
Old 10 March 2001, 08:20 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

RonaldoH - I tried this test with just the green connectors and sweet FA happened - no test cycle.
Don't the black connectors come into play as well or are they used with the greens to reset the ECU?
Old 11 March 2001, 10:51 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hmmm weird, however you do need to turn the ignition off and then on again..and leave the ignition on (make sure your car is not immobilsed or in valet mode.

I do add that I am not an expert subaru engine blokey

Just speaking from having done it myself.

Regards
R
Old 11 March 2001, 01:56 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i must say that in my experiance with the solenoid that cleaning it does not work. it might make it better for a while but the problem will come back.
the only way to cure it for good is to replace it with the modified version that subaru made.

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2001, 08:45 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Oh dear, yes it was the immobilizer kicking in to stop the test cycle.
Old 12 March 2001, 08:23 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Sorry Pete,

I think I must have been half asleep when I posted that. Long week and all that.

Try same instructions but with
Old 12 March 2001, 10:37 AM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for all your help guys, it is people like you that make this site as good as it is. Ronnie, I think I will be able to do it - your instructions are perfect and fit with what I have seen under the bonnet - but thanks for the offer to help anyway. Rich, thanks again. Scoobyboy, how much, just out of interest, do these modified replacement solenoids cost and from where can they be obtained? (94WRX)
Old 12 March 2001, 10:52 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

You may be slightly over filled with oil, this can cause a blockage and contamination within the solenoid....

R