Notices

What's the best way to get some more mid-range oommpph?

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2001, 06:02 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I need to get some more mid-range performance out of my MY00 turbo and I'd like your advice on the best (and most cost effective way) to go about it. The company I work for pays for my fuel but they won't stretch to SUL so I guess ECU changes are out. What sort of difference would a different exhaust system and filter make?
Old 24 February 2001, 08:46 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

When changing your ECU (Motec Link ect)or piggy backing it (Unichip)you map the car to what fuel you are using.
Old 24 February 2001, 11:34 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Kav, Replace the standard downpipe with a freer flowing one.Cost approx £180-£250(depending on which one you pick).Takes no more than one hour.Will also put you in the best position for further mods.Modify exhaust in general before you start thinking about ECU fiddling.
Old 25 February 2001, 12:50 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I thought Kav used the words "cost effective" in his original post.PPP is the easy and expensive way.Kav may find that the increase from the DP is enough for him at the moment and hence save £2k.The PPP only really works well with SUL (yes I have had one) so then he has to carry flammable/explosive petrochemicals in his boot for the rest of his life.Exhaust mods will actually mean that the PPP will work even better should he fancy that later.
Cheers.
Old 25 February 2001, 01:04 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Kav, what you want is a Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP). It will give you loads of exactly what you're after (click on the Dyno pages on the top menu and see just what a PPP does for your mid-range; I've got one. Fantastic.) Costs £2k.

I don't know what your company politics are but I got mine done, paid the bill myself, and nonbody's any the wiser. Your warranty remains 100% intact.

It will run fine on 95RON, but is better on 97 (better still on 99). Millers Octane-Plus will give you plus 2RON for £3 a tankful, so with normal unleaded and Octane-Plus you're sorted.

The PPP is only available through your official Scooby dealer. Millers Octane-Plus comes cheap from
Old 25 February 2001, 03:37 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

kav,

Definately go for the downpipe. This made a big difference to my power delivery mid range. As recommended to me by Bob Rawle
Now there's a nice bulge (oo uggg missus) in my midrange torque

As Richard says check out the Dyno pages.

Personally i'd go Scoobysport.

Gethin.
Old 25 February 2001, 09:11 AM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good input - thanks guys!
Keep 'em coming.

Trending Topics

Old 25 February 2001, 01:48 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Deep Singh, what do you mean by flammable/explosive petrochemicals"? Is a bottle of Millers any more dangerous than a spare can of petrol?

Richard Hopkins
Old 25 February 2001, 02:36 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Dear Richard, no, Octane Booster is probably no more dangerous than having a spare can of petrol in the boot of your car.However,do you think it's a good idea to have a can of petrol in the boot,I think it's very dangerous,that's probably why it's an offence to do so.And why would you want to .?Where do you live???I thought that was what a fuel guage and petrol stations were for.Please d'ont take this response the wrong way,I'm sure both of us come on this site to share infomation and learn.
Deep.
Old 26 February 2001, 12:29 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Deep. No probs I didn't know it was an offence to carry a petrol can in the boot! Where are you supposed to put it then? I don't carry one myself (I find the petrol gauge works fine) but I do carry a couple of bottle of Millers. To be honest, I treat them more like a bottle of oil than petrol. Guess we should be more careful.

Richard Hopkins
Old 26 February 2001, 12:58 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Deep Singh
No offence intended either but that's a load of ***** about not being able to carry a spare can of petrol.....

If it is, why aren't Halfords and every other accessory shop and garage in the land prosecuted for selling them......

Provided they are BS marked that they conform to the regulations they are legal.

And in a Scoob you have 60 litres of highly explosive (kinda useful for powering an internal combustion engine dontcha think ) petrochemical sloshing around in a PLASTIC tank under the car next to electrics and the exhaust.....

Meanwhile back on thread, I have a UK MY00 with a full Scoobysport exhaust from turbo back plus ITG filter and it DOES free the turbo up and make a lot of difference in the mid-range - and sounds excellent to boot!!
Old 26 February 2001, 10:13 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Dear Dave TS, with the utmost respect
1)it most definateley is an offence to carry cans of petrol in your boot
2)to say Halfords sell the cans so it c'ant be an offence is like saying M&S sell kitchen knives so it must be o.k to gut someone.They sell the cans to transfer petrol in other ways
3) Why do you think you c'ant order Octane booster mail order?Because normal delivery companies are not licensed to transport petrochemicals(even if we do have 60 litres in the tank
4)The petrol in your car's tank is far bettrer protected from electrics and impact than a metal can in your boot(probabaly next to your 200000000k subwoofer!!!!!!!!)
Cheers Deep
Old 26 February 2001, 11:55 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Well, is it an offence to carry petrol cans in your boot, or is it not?

And can you get octane booster by mail order? I can. It's just a phone call away. One-and-a-half gallons at a time. Is that an offense, too, in which case we have a big problem.

References to flammable danger are in barely legible text on the Millers bottles. Mike Tuckwood (Mr ScoobyMania) any comments?

Richard Hopkins
Old 27 February 2001, 04:34 AM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't be soft! Of course it's not an offence to carry Pertol, Diesel or any other fuel that you can buy at a fuel station in a container in your boot!!! It's also not an offence to carry kitchen knives in your car. Does this mean you were going to kill someone? I did not get my kitchen knives delivered to me by some weapons expert

The AA and RAC actually recommend you carry some spare fuel in a plastic fuel container in the boot for emergency situations.

Of course if you take it to the extreem that if you had twenty cans of fuel stashed in your boot combined with some dettonators, it would be difficult to explain to the officer that you were popping out for some fuel for the lawn mower !!!

Gethin.
Old 27 February 2001, 08:15 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Deep Singh

If you don't believe me, try reading this:
Old 27 February 2001, 01:06 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Kav,

I can't remember specifics but there is a mod that can be done (cheaply I believe) it involves altering the cam timing. This will give you much more low to mid grunt but does make it very juicy. I'm not even sure if this mod can be done on its own I just recall reading something last year.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, but it should bring the post back on track!!
Old 27 February 2001, 03:53 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Wink

Octane booster in the boot? Are you out of your mind?

I store mine under the bonnet, the are loads of cubby holes by the exhaust manifold....

Justin

P.S. Kav, do the exhaust and save for that chip...
Old 28 February 2001, 12:26 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

O.k my apolagies to everyone I was sure I had been told by an officer of the law that i
t was an offence to carry petrol in the boot.
Sorry about that.As for Octane booster,Scoobysport definately refuse to mail it out because I've tried.
Old 28 February 2001, 09:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Deep Singh:
<B>O.k my apolagies to everyone I was sure I had been told by an officer of the law that i
t was an offence to carry petrol in the boot.
Sorry about that.As for Octane booster,Scoobysport definately refuse to mail it out because I've tried.[/quote]

No probs mate, not the first time I have done an **** post, in fact some would say I have made about 2253 **** posts.....

Old 02 March 2001, 11:12 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone here know what a PPP (or Link for that matter) does to your insurance bill?.