Notices

Condensation in boot ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2001, 07:19 PM
Stroudy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, Has anyone known condensation to build up in the boot and cause a damp patch on the left corner of boot hardboard.
Or any common leaks here ?? doesn't appear to be a leak, as washing etc.. doesn't result in any water in the boot ???

Can anyone give any ideas... or experiences ??

Thanks
Old 16 February 2001, 09:19 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
I too have a slight problem in this area, My car suffered a small bump last year in which the rear light cluster needed replacing, when I got the car back from the bodyshop I noticed that the rear screen was misting up a lot, I then found that the spare wheel well had about an inch of water in it, I traced a leak to the seal on the light cluster not sealing. The water was coming in like there was no tomorrow, so I took the light off and resealed it, which worked in that area, but I have also noticed that sometimes the bootlid seal has a trace of water on it by the nearside light, as if the water is going around the seal and into the boot, I have changed the style with which I direct the water on the car while I wash it and I have not noticed a trace of water since, I'm sure that the wet weather that we've had doesn't help.
In your case if you have not had a light replaced it might be worth you taking the boot liners out and climbing in and get someone else to hold a hose on the car, so that you can observe from inside, you may feel like a bit of an idiot whilst doing this but it worked for me.
Good luck.
Ron
Old 16 February 2001, 09:33 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Ron,
If would be so kind...
What did you use to reseal the cluster?
I might just need to do the same.

Cheers

Nick
Old 16 February 2001, 09:34 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I had the same problem.
A couple of suggestions,
* seal rear lights with good silicone sealer
* seal rear washer filler where it goes through
* adjust boot lock to make boot shut tighter
* take everything out and dry it fully

Old 16 February 2001, 09:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick
I used a sealer that does'nt go fully hard. To take it off you have to undo 4 bolts (I think) and there is also one that you might not see straight away nearer the outside of the car. If the light has not been out before you might have a job getting it out, as the original sealer is the type that does go hard. My dealer actually suggested tightening the bootlid but it fits just fine and dandy the way it is, but I spose a tiny little bit wouldn't hurt.
Ron
ps be aware thet the metal in the area of the light is literally like tin foil, and wont take very kindly to being levered on!
Old 17 February 2001, 02:25 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

My legacy had a similiar problem cause the previous owner had replaced the rear 1/4 panel due to accident damage and not sealed it properly . I cured most of the leak by resealing round the rear lights using semi-hardening windscreen sealer but it was still filling the hollow at the rhs of the boot in wet weather . Ended up drilling a small hole at the lowest point to let the water out - problem solved .
Old 17 February 2001, 11:47 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i used to get some condensation on the underneath of the bootlid, but now i garage the car overnite its fine
mark

Trending Topics

Old 19 February 2001, 11:53 AM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I too have the same problem.

The water is coming in from the light cluster. It is filling up the well on the left and also underneath the spare wheel. I have taken the carpet and board out for the moment an have stuck down lots of newspaper and tissue to soak up the water as it comes in. At one time (before I noticed the leak) both wells either side were full and also the spare wheel well had 3" of water in it.

I have not cured it yet, but it is the light cluster on the left as water sometimes collects in the bottom of it. I have plans to fix it one Sunday but haven't got round to it yet
Old 19 February 2001, 01:42 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Well, there's a pattern forming here I think.........

My left side cluster was removed to have a bit of damage repaired on the n/s rear wing (some tosser thought it would be funny to push a loaded supermarket trolley into it ). Ever since then I have had to drain out the 2 side wells and the spare wheel well whenever we get prolonged rain (which is a bit more often than we'd all like ).

I have resealed the tail light once with silicone sealant and this has stopped the rear light from filling up with water but I still have to do drain out the wells. I'm going to try a window mastic (the black rubbery type that is similar to the original stuff) when we have a decent weekend to do so......
Old 19 February 2001, 04:08 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Also check the drain holes in the bottom of the rear quarter panels. One is down underneath the jack bracket and the other is opposite. Not easy to get at from above so have a look underneath rear bumper. Mine were blocked with dirt and holding about 1" of water in each side!!
Old 19 February 2001, 06:10 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks for info Ron.
Old 20 February 2001, 10:39 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm not alone then! My My00 was leaking from the passenger side rear light cluster - found it before any damage was done by playing about in the boot with ICE.

My dealer re-sealed and re-fitted for me. He'd seen a lot, and always the passenger side. ? ? ?

They used copious amounts of black gunk: it's worked!