Notices

Petrol gauge misreading

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2001, 10:36 PM
Podge
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a problem with the petrol gauge misreading on MY98 GT555. The petrol out light comes on (bright orange) with the gauge on the quarter full mark. The car is normally parked on a very slight gradient in the driveway, but this has not caused a problem before.

This has happened twice now. The first time the car failed to start. I tried moving the car, rocking it from side to side, keeping the accelerator depressed, etc. The engine turned over normally, but refused to fire. I tried this six or seven times before giving up. Eventually I had to fill it with a petrol canister (2 litres). It started on the second attempt then.

Once I got the car going it took only 43 litres to fill it at the petrol station. Normally it takes 55 litres to fill it from empty (I don't leave this happen too often though).

I always allow a few seconds before starting the car and don't depress the accelerator until its started.

I tried searching the BBS for a similar problem, but can't find the same problem.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks.
Old 19 February 2001, 02:41 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like your level gauge is working ok but the low level light is faulty but I can't see why it stops the car running . Once the orange light comes on in my car I still have about 30 miles before the car runs out of petrol but it still runs ok .
You could try changing the sender unit in the tank but I would leave it for a dealer to sort out .