Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2003, 10:31 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

MY03 WRX Ecutek + decat.

Simple

Is there any point/benefit from fitting a Samco hose kit (y-pipe, etc.) to my baby?

anyone noticed change?

please help
Old 26 October 2003, 12:05 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the basic idea was that Samco hoses are stronger. Therefore, they are better at withstanding pressure without deforming. This would become more important if you intend to modify the car.

I'm not sure how much of a performance improvement you would notice, but I would feel a lot better knowing that I had stronger hoses fitted.

Chris
Old 26 October 2003, 10:00 AM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

AFIK the standard 'Y' peice is plastic and if your boosting at over the 17/18psi mark it will be more likely to fold in on itself and split.

The samco 'Y' peice is a lot stronger and has been tested to some stupid pressure figures.

I've got the STi metal 'Y' peice fitted with the joining samco pipe. i am boosting a steady 22psi thro'.

Kevin

Old 26 October 2003, 10:06 AM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

When I fitted Samco's to my MY97, I definatly noticed a bit of a difference. I gained a tiny bit of boost, they seem to flow better than the OEM Cr@p.
Old 27 October 2003, 01:10 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

There are two guys on here who both have exactly the same spec WRX's including mods with the exception of one of them having Samco Intercooler hoses.

With Samco hoses 291bhp, without 286bhp. May well be just a difference in map or something small that made the difference overall.

.................needless to say i know have a set of samco hoses to put on my Scoob
Old 27 October 2003, 01:43 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

On a lot of models, the OEM pipework has resonator pieces to quieten things down (look like ribbed sections). These are not very good for flow. The Samco pipework obviously doesn't have these. Also if you look at the shape of the OEM pipework, the bends in it look a fair bit more restrictive than the Samco bends.

Never seen a back to back comparison on the same car but I would imagine the difference to be reasonably small, but I am sure there would be SOME benefit.

Prodrive obviously thought it was a worthwhile mod as they included it in their PPPs.

Rich
Old 27 October 2003, 02:13 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Flow bench results

Andrew...
Old 27 October 2003, 02:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

*FROM THE LINK*

Hi guys,

Just got back to the office. Sorry for the tease, but I posted prematurely before thinking of what info I want to disclose right now and what I want to hold on to for a little bit longer. Needless to say, a day's worth of flow testing sheds a lot of light on intercooler design and function. I still need to digest lots of the data I got so I'm holding off on saying too much for now. Here's what I can say though....

Stock vs. STi Intercooler
The big STi intercooler had nearly identical flow characteristics as the much-smaller stock IC. This is interesting considering they both share the same exact tube and fin core design (fin density, tube thickness, etc,.) Just a lot more volume. I have a few ideas as to why it didn't perform better but I think I need to think it out more. It appears all the gains the STi *should* provide would be from cooling, not a reduction in pressure drop.

Stock Y-Pipe vs. Samco silicon Y-Pipe
Also, as expected, the Samco piece increased flow of the stock IC measureably. At 35" of vacuum (we also tested at 7, 14, 21, 28 and 47"), airflow increased by 14.2%. You could actuall hear the difference in airflow sound. The stock pipe was noisy and turbulent while the Samco pipe was deep and smooth.

Australian-made Upgraded WRX IC vs. Stock or STi IC
The very thick bar and plate IC flowed better than the Stock and STi ICs (both equipped with Samco pipe) by approximately 30% across the board. A very significant amount and easily felt by the seat of the pants when driving.

My finally finished Vishnu EJ25 turbo kit IC outflowed the Upgraded WRX core by 20-25% across the board. Good thing considering the 25% bigger engine. It's interesting to note that the IC flows better despite sharing similar volumes and having only *one* smallish inlet (i.e. no big dual-entry Y-pipe). Goes to show that proper end tank design is critical to flow performance. But that's another story...

A *lot* more info (numbers, charts, more pics, design analysis, etc,.) to come soon. There's still a lot more info that I need to quantify. My head is still hurting from all that noise. Those Superflos are LOUD

Cheers,
shiv
vishnu performance systems

Old 27 October 2003, 02:31 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

To confirm with Buzzer the 2 cars are identical and even use the same map and the Samco specced car pulled 4-5 more BHP

Zippy
Old 27 October 2003, 04:03 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone, that answers a lot.
Old 27 October 2003, 04:08 PM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask. So far we have been discussing the benefits of Samco intercooler pipes. What about the turbo pipes that they offer?
Old 27 October 2003, 04:45 PM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

aren't intercooler and turbo the same hoses?

Old 27 October 2003, 05:19 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

yes