Paint Problems Again

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2000, 12:39 AM
JDS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Alan,

Thanks for the response. The bodyshop at my dealer has had experience of the train phenomenon as well but I don't live anywhere near a train track. He did however reliably inform me that T-cut will remove the laquer sufficiently without damaging the paint underneath. I am not sure as to the classification of MY99 DBM. Whether or not it is Deep Blue Mica or Dark Blue Mica and whether or not Mica is a metallic paint.

I will have a look at the product you mentioned though. It might be more suitable.

James.
Old 09 August 2000, 10:27 AM
JDS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I posted sometime ago about small silvery metallic "flecks" my DBM MY99. My dealers were excellent and resprayed the offending panel under warranty. However, since then thing seems to have got worse not better. I took the car back to my dealer for them to examine and we came to the conclusion that it was not a paint problem as such, but something is settling onto the bodywork and is "bonding" to the paintwork/laquer/polish?

The finish becomes quite rough to the touch and the flecks are impossible to remove with normal cleaning or even Zymol HD Cleanse. The only thing that will get it off is T-Cut applied very carefully.

Vertical surfaces are not as badly affected as the top side of horizontal ones. In fact the underside of the rear spoiler is completely smooth and unaffected.

Has anyone else suffered anything similar? If not, does anyone have any clues as to what it might be. I basically drive the car to work and back (~1 mile) and then it is garaged until the weekend. The flecks seems to be bonding with something, either the paint laquer or I even thought maybe the polish (Zymol carbon).

Help please, or I have a painful weekend of gentle T-cutting and polishing ahead of me!

Regards,

James

P.S. Great to have Scoobynet back so that I can post genuine problems like this to those of you who might know something about it!!!
Old 09 August 2000, 11:43 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

James,

Is your car metallic? If it is, T-Cut is a waste of time as it cuts back the surface paint - not lacquer.

If metallic try Turtle Wax specifically for Metallic Paint. Blue Bottle at Halfords.

Do you park near a railway line at work? I have heard in the past that brake dust from trains can damage paintwork on cars. Also the fact the particles are usually "charged" and bond much easier to piant.

Hope I'm not speading some old wifes tale. Have worked in the valet shop before, so I think there could be some truth.

Good luck

Alan
Old 09 August 2000, 01:22 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

JDS, got this a while back on another car (Honda) with non metalic paint.

Turned out to be someone spraying paint or some other substance near to where I parked the thing over a period of time.

Took ages to get it off.

Alan - t cut or any cutting polish will cut back the surface layer, which in the case of metallics will be the clear laquer to coat(s)

JDS - Use too much though, and remove the laquer at your peril! do a search on wax wizard and speak to Mark Underwood - he may be able to help.

D

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 09 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 03:25 PM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Glad I'm not the only one who speaks about the train phenomenon!

Diablo: Sorry my e-mail should have read that T-Cut is especially made to cut back paint, not lacquer. The lacquer should be protected at all costs.

James: If your car is going to be respayed again, DO NOT Polish it for at least a month, as sometimes the polish can break down the fresh lacquer.
Old 10 August 2000, 10:01 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

when you say speck's do you mean very tiny miniscule type chip's?...if yes then I have the same problem....dealer think's that I flew through a dust cloud at 120mph!!!!...i said I think not...some how....mind you I did manage to get them off using GS27 cream...I think you can still buy it at halfords....it blends in the molecules of the paint without using T-Cut....it does work ....believe me....It also work's wonders on scratches which are not to deep....Mind you after a good 4 or 5 application's on deep scratches it makes them look a-lot more presentable....I used the cream on my Mica green 4door Pro Drive WRsport and on my STi version 5 2door....try it on a small area first and see what it is like....
Old 10 August 2000, 11:07 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

JDS

T-Cut is an abrasive compound and will cut what is known as flat paint (ie silod reds etc) and will also cut laquer. Lacquer is also a paint and it is clear in that it has no pigment. So watch out.

If these flecks are removeable with say your finger nail then you have contamination that is settling on the car and sounds very much like paint that has landed on your car in the wind.

Removal is very simple and a breeze. What u need is a clay bar and lubricant. This will "draw" everything off the surface of the paint. Call me on 0800 074 1608 and I'll rush something to you in time for the weekend.
WoW
Old 13 August 2000, 10:49 AM
JDS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just to let you all know, Mark (of WW fame) has come up with the goods once again. I was seriously dreading a weekend with the T-cut and possible paint disaster. I spoke to Mark on Thursday night and I had my clay bars by Saturday morning.

I have only tried them on a small area but you would not believe the results. My paint actually feels smoother than than the day I picked it up from the garage. Need the weather to improve now so I can do all the car and restore it to its former glory!

Cheers Mark, I owe you one!

James
DBM MY99