Loss of power on boost

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2000, 11:40 PM
Kramer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi,
on my 94 wrx under hard acceleration I get a loss of power as if the turbo has died,then I change gear and the power's back,is this overboost and what should I do to correct it?

Many thanks David.
Old 11 April 2000, 02:24 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I had a similar prob on my MY93 WRX. It was'nt overboost (in my case) but it could be on yours. I worked mine out by fitting a boost gauge and when the power dropped, my boost dipped to 0.6bar (should be 0.8bar). If its a sudden cut out, it sounds more like an overboost snag.

Mine was cured my fitting a new ECU, never missed a beat since.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else

Richie
Old 11 April 2000, 09:21 PM
JohnJ
Scooby Newbie

I had the same problem on a MY96 WRX. The problem only happened sporadically until one of the coil packs failed completely, causing the car to run on 3 cylinders only. Replacing the faulty coil pack (and a new set of spark plugs) has solved the problem for me!
Old 12 April 2000, 07:16 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Wink

does this happen all the time or sparodically? i've got a my94 wrx which the boost drops from 0.8 bar to 0.5 bar on occasions then returns back to 0.8. it's not running any fault codes and the only pattern as to when it does it is usually under high load in 4th/5th gears. i beleive mine to be a det problem caused by crap fuel ( it's been filled with normal unleaded on occasions but not often ) causing the ecu to reduce boost. i use super at all times now from the same garage ( elf) and the problem is definately getting better although nto cured completely. ( it's not done it now for over a week!! ) i also used some injection cleaner in the fuel just after the problem started which appeared to help. i may be talking crap here as i'm no mechanic, but my car is running a whole lot better now. pumpers.
Old 14 April 2000, 02:45 PM
Kramer
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers everyone for the replies, the thing is I don't have a boost gauge so I can't get a reading.
I've always used super unleaded, I fitted a Blitz induction kit about 2 months ago and it didn't happen before I fitted it, so maybe in my case this is the culprit ?
I'll have to buy a boost gauge and I think I'll let P.E have a look at it,as I'm not much cop with the spanners....DOH stupid spanners.
Many thanks David.
Old 14 April 2000, 08:55 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Pumpers, sounds suspiciously like my fault. Do you know anyone with an identical car? Cos you could try swapping the ECU to see if it cures the prob, I dont think it sounds fuel related, more likely Engine Management.

Richie
Old 15 April 2000, 09:29 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

richie, no i don't know anyone with the same car. however i've been told that when the ecu is knackered it's knackered. i.e. it won't run high boost then change to low boost then back again, it'll just reset the boost and keep it at that figure. i've now gone over 10 days without the missfire! it's getting dyno'd soon so i'll let you know if they come up with anything. pumpers.
Old 15 April 2000, 09:04 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I dont know who told you but that is exactly what mine did and I can assure you it was knackere!!

Its worth a try as its easy to swap.

Richie
Old 15 May 2000, 05:05 PM
taug6
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RichieC:
<B>I dont know who told you but that is exactly what mine did and I can assure you it was knackere!!

Its worth a try as its easy to swap.

Richie [/quote]

Mine is still doing the same (94 WRX STi) and I was told by Mr D.Power that this is more likely due to ECU problems. What actually happens is that detonation is detected by the det sensor and the ECU reduces the boost and retards the timing.

Not sure if that helps ...

Alex.