Notices

Clutch Release Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2003, 10:40 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Anyway to tell if they are goosed or not?

I think mine might be on the way out, I get a metallic rasping noise if i stay on the 'bite' of the clutch at over 4k rpm

I know my heatshield rattles, and am unsure if it is that, as it only happens at high revs (over 4k) and when changing gear

Doesnt do it all the time, and there is no slip in the clutch, and gears engage fine too

Cheers

Steve

Oh if it is the release bearings what sort of cost am I looking at
Old 17 October 2003, 12:28 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch release bearings tend to rattle at idle when fooked and disappear when the clutch is pressed.. can also be input shaft bearings when this happens..

David
Old 17 October 2003, 02:06 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Hmm, there is no noise at all when on idle, this noise only appears if I ride the clutch, or release it slowly, while going on throttle when changing gear, or when pulling away at 4krpm in 1st

If i release the clutch quick, the noise doesnt occur

Old 17 October 2003, 02:15 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
if I ride the clutch
LMFAO..

Serves you right!

David
Old 17 October 2003, 03:16 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL

I do spent quite a lot of time stuck in traffic jams, which dont do my clutch any good either, especially for two hours on Blackpool Golden Mile last week

But then this problem started before then
Old 17 October 2003, 05:39 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Just been driving home, and it defintaly only makes the noise over 4k rpm, and if I take my foot off the throttle, and press the clutch in I can feel it in the clutch pedal, but only where the bite point (or where it starts to engage) again this is at over 4k, no matter what the gear

Old 17 October 2003, 07:11 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sonic

Are you getting any slip.???? try driving up a steepish hill in fourth gear at around 30-40mph and see if the revs rise..!

Dan
Old 17 October 2003, 08:14 PM
philjohno
Scooby Regular

can knackered release bearings cause more engine noise at higher rev's 4000/5000 rpm say?

I get a lot of noise at idle but when i dip the clutch it goes away. It has been like that since i got my car about a month ago, the bite is quite high as well so I think it is new clutch time, autospares-group.com do a borg and beck for £75.42 +vat so I just need to find someone to fit it, anyone know rough labour costs to get a clutch fitted?

[Edited by philjohno - 10/17/2003 8:16:55 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 08:38 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Dan, getting no slip whatsoever

I can still do 4-5k launches, but it dont sound so good, it sounds like my heatshield rattling, but it cant be otherwise I guess it would be doing it without the clutch pressed in

Cant see anything amiss under the bonnet, fluid looks ok, the only thing I did notice was that my gearbox dipstick was pointing towards the bulkhead, I took it out, and it was slightly bent

Old 17 October 2003, 09:09 PM
phoenix1
Scooby Regular

Hello steve, just wondering if it good be the springs in the friction plate rattling.
Old 17 October 2003, 09:29 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

TBH im not too sure what it is, cept that it appears to be clutch related, car drives fine, pulls fine, gear changes are fine

Just this annoying noise when over 4k changing gear, wether up or down, its probably one of those things that Im not gonna know without taking it apart, something I really dont want to do

Old 18 October 2003, 09:48 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

My clutch release bearing would groan every now and then, especially if spending aloy of time in slow moving traffic.

Spoke to a Subaru Techy, and he suggested I remove the big rubber grommet under the intercooler and carefully spray some spray grease onto the bearing and shaft.

This I done, 2 weeks ago thinking it would never work and I doubted I hit the right place with the spray (a bit tricky and the damn straws are never long enough).

Anyway, 2 weeks later and it hasn't done it since... top result ans saved me a few hundred quid for the time being....
Old 20 October 2003, 06:26 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

got similar thing on mine too.
but only when cold !
quite as a mouse on idle.
press it to engage gear, and you get a rubbery squeek as the pedal gets net the bottom (does this when warm - think this is the slave cylinder) and then the bearing goes EKK, EEEK, EEEK, EEEK, EEEEK

will have to try the straw method!
what type of lube did you use Scott ?

Steve
Old 20 October 2003, 06:29 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Mine seems to do it more when warm

and its only a single scrape noise, and it only does it on the bite point over 4k rpm

Old 21 October 2003, 08:02 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Halfords Spray Grease in a yellow can....only comes with a stubby straw but a WD40 straw also fits.
I've been attacking everything with it... door hinges, clutch pedal, bonnet catch, wallet
Old 13 November 2003, 08:36 AM
philjohno
Scooby Regular

Sorry to dig up an old tread but I was thinking of greasing my rease bearing as it is whinning on tick over until the clutch is dipped then it goes away,

My question is, where is the big grommit under the intercooler as I dont want to be greasing up the wrong thing.

TY
Old 13 November 2003, 09:22 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Directly under the intercooler, where the clutch leaver/spring are.
Pull the spring off the leaver, then remove the grommet. You will have to push the clutch plunger back to get the grommet/rubber cover completly off.

Use a long straw attached to the spray grease. If possible use 2 joined together. You will probably beed a torch or inspection lamp to see in the hole.
Old 13 November 2003, 12:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Definitely an expensive luxury to ride the clutch instead of using neutral. Also bad for the crankshaft thrust bearing,especially at idle when the oil pressure is at its lowest!

Les
Old 15 November 2003, 10:17 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

I still havent resolved this yet

in Neutral I can rev the car as much as I want and no noise at all (cept the heatshield will rattle a bit, cos its loose) I also noticed that the up-pipe shield welds have broke off, so this is loose too now

If I fully release the clutch pedal completly after changing gear and take my foot off the throttle completly, it doesnt make the noise, If I start to press the throttle whilst releasing the clutch I get a short single (what I can only describe as a ) scraping noise

It only does it when the clutch is dis-engaging, not when engaging if any of that makes any sense

Steve
Old 18 November 2003, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe the clutch plate itself rattles its shock absorbing springs in its centre as the clutch disengages Steve. Can't think of anything else.

Les
Old 19 November 2003, 08:27 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Philjohno, I have the same problem, sqeaking noise until the clutch is depressed, only seems to happen this time of year, fine in the summer. Will try doing how instructed above tommorow.

simb
Old 20 November 2003, 08:51 AM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Seems like this is a common problem, my car has a simalar scraping noise when I change gear a high revs. I'm going to try that spray grease tonight, I'll let you know how it fairs tommorow.
Old 21 November 2003, 01:51 PM
allymac
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep. All this sounds familiar. My MY99 Turbo Impreza has the same noise, but it does it with clutch engaging and disengaging above 4k revs. My car only has 25k miles and all were pretty easy.There is no clutch slip and the gear changes are great.

Would these possible bearing problems cause any bigger problems? Everyone thinks its the clutch then? Please let me know if anyone has success in getting rid of the noise with or without a clutch change.

Thanks,

Al
Old 21 November 2003, 02:35 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Question

Are the release bearings a standard part or can you get up-rated ones ??

I'm going to replace mine soon with the clutch.
Old 21 November 2003, 03:43 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Rattling clutch pipes (against the bulkhead) was a known and common problem with MY99 cars.

Dunno if thats it, but mine did it.

Dealer 1 replaced clutch bearing under warranty at time/cost hasstle to subaru and me.

Dealer 2 fixed it in 2 minutes flat by "adjusting" (read bending) the pipes away from the bulkhead.

Did it at 4k revs on depressing the clutch pedal. No noise on release.

D
Old 25 November 2003, 09:02 AM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mine's fixed

I squirted the release bearing with spray grease and it's quiet now, also the pedal feels better!

I think that it's down to the fact that the little rubber boot is naf and must let moisture in, down the scoop and throught the intercooler?
Old 25 November 2003, 09:50 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it Paul.... a nice cheap modification that.

Mines only made a noise twice since doing it. And that was after a 2.5hour motorway driver.

It used to do it every weekend (the only time it does more then 2 miled to and from work).

Spraying the grease on it had certainly improved it.
Old 25 November 2003, 11:56 AM
allymac
Scooby Regular

That sounds promising guys. I will try that on my car when I get home again from here.

Where exactly did you spray the grease into? Just as above? Must admit I was thinking about try the pipe bending first. Knowing my luck some grease would end up somewhere that would cause an expensive problem!!
Old 25 November 2003, 12:02 PM
paul_davies
Scooby Regular

Mine was a bit of a blind aim!
I worked on the assumption that the bearing was in the general direction of where the arm was going and that the friction material of the clutch was behind the cover plate and pressed firmly agianst the flywheel.
The bigest problem is getting the boost hose off the turbo
Old 25 November 2003, 01:26 PM
allymac
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have to admit I am not very technical. Would a novice manage this?!

What all has to come off to do it? Turbo pipes, gromits, springs etc? Did anyone check their clutch cable as noted previously?

Thanks,

Ally

Quick Reply: Clutch Release Bearings