Notices

Intercoller water spray kit.

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2000, 03:03 PM
Rotem Lwow Lev
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever used such a product before?
if so does it really increse the HP noticably?
i know that MRT performace sells a kit for the WRX intercooler, has anyone fitted one in?

Thanks,
Rotem
Old 15 March 2000, 04:55 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
It will help the cool running of the car to emulate the use in cold damp weather conditions. It is something I am going to do to MY94 WRX. As a DIY project it will cost about £100.00.

You will not get as good a improvement against using a water injection kit or chargecooler, but then the cost is significantley less.

The system that I am going to create will work off a pressure switch, teed off the vac hose - set at about 5psi - with an overriding switch located on the dash. The water will then be sprayed against the bonnet scoop or intercooler (need to find the best place)

Shaun.
Old 15 March 2000, 05:28 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Rotem,

In response to your email......

A chargecooler basically uses it's own closed supply of water, that is pumped through an extra intercooler, this is then passed through the air inlet via another mini rad. As the system is closed loop (has it's own water supply & pump), it works very effeciently. No off the shelf version exists but can be made adapted at a cost.

Water injection basicaly fires a fine spray of water through a jet directly into the plennum. Effective and cheaper then the above.

Water injection would definatley void your warrenty, I can't see why chargecooling would!

The fitment of a water spray as I originally mentioned would definatley not effect warranty. As the whole conversion is external to the car's running & can be easly removed!

Shaun.
Old 16 March 2000, 09:48 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

We've been having a wee "discussion" on the IWOC mailing list..all about intercoolers/water injection/inlet temperatures etc.

conclusion is that
a) water injection itself does nothing for performance, but reduces temp and therefore detting, which means you may be able to run higher boost hence get more performance.
b) water spray on the intercooler was shown to take 15'C off the inlet temp..whether 15'C difference does much is anyone's guess..
No-one has commented on charge-cooling but I remember a post from way back that claimed huge increases in intercooler efficiency.
Old 16 March 2000, 01:06 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Lee, 15 degrees C will make a significant difference. Was this peak figure measured on the move, rather than in slow-moving/stopped traffic conditions? If it's 15C on the move that would make a significant improvement in power, rather than just helping to combat heatsoak at a standstill.
Old 16 March 2000, 02:38 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Better still if used in conjunction with a bonnet scoop splitter.

regards mike
Old 16 March 2000, 10:09 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi br,
Have you made a bonnet scoop splitter for your scooby, do you think it's worth doing as i am thinking of doing it.
Could you explain how/what it is made of. I looked on the i.w.o.c. site but it did not give much detail.
regards
rob
Old 16 March 2000, 10:23 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi br,
Have you made a bonnet scoop splitter for your scooby, do you think it's worth doing as i am thinking of doing it.
Could you explain how/what it is made of. I looked on the i.w.o.c. site but it did not give much detail.
regards
rob