Facelift.........whats the score?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2000, 12:06 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Right Im after the definative answer here

Im being a bit of a div, I know, but can anyone give me the low down on the different bodywork options. Im talking about the difference between MY94ish, MY98 and MY99. MY00 just scares me way too much, but feel free to enlighten me!

Specifically is the MY98 and 99 bonnet the same?

Are the lights the same?

Are the grilles the same (99 thinner and wider than 99??)

What about bumpers, did the front bumper not change til 99?

In addition is it possible to fit the later slec parts independantly of each other?

Hope someone can shed some light on this, I've been puzzled for ages! Can anyone supply pics to illustrate the differences (Photos from Donno might be perfect opportunity?)

Thanks in advance

Richie (well and truly in the dark)

[This message has been edited by RichieC (edited 06-03-2000).]
Old 07 March 2000, 07:10 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

RichieC,

I have E-mailed you some pics of my MY94 WRX. The grille and bonnet vents have been modded and fitted with mesh. Bonnet vents at this age usually have horizontal slats in them and the grille has a single slat with the badge incorporated. Mainly wanted to show you the bonnet and the lights though!

Also note that the standard indicators and repeaters are amber not clear! If someone else mails you other MY's then you can compare the changes. Did you also know that the rear bumpers changed as well?

Hope this is of some use,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 07-03-2000).]
Old 07 March 2000, 09:54 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kev.

Does anyone know if its possible to fit the MY99 Front Bumper by itself, without changing lights grille etc??

Also, what changed about the rear bumper??

Thanks again

Richie
Old 08 March 2000, 01:54 AM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Richie,

Notice my rear bumper has a ridge which runs about one half inch from the top and then doubles back on itself about an inch and a half lower. I'm not sure when this changed but later cars did not have this and the rear bumper was a lot smoother to look at!

Check your E-mail again for a pic of an S-plate STi Type-R (Note differences with front and rear bumpers). I'm no expert but I think the later bumpers could fit the earlier MY cars, although I'd check this with someone in the know to be sure!

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 08-03-2000).]
Old 08 March 2000, 09:38 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

You can change the bumpers, without any problems, but the bonnet is a bit more tricky.

The 97 to 00 bonnets are the same and you can fit the 99/00 clear headlights with this bonnet. Incidentally, these later lights are cheaper than the 97/98 lights.

The main stumbling block is the shroud which feed air into the intercooler. The early intercoolers are angled and are not in the same area as the later ones. It is not possible to fit the late spec (bigger) intercooler.
Old 08 March 2000, 11:42 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

While we're on the subject has anybody got a picture of a Version 4 STI spoiler, or is it the same as the MY99 UK ???

Thanks..

Darren.