Notices

Engine Management problems?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 1999, 10:31 AM
Phil T
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm pretty new to my Sti5 so somewhat of a novice. I hope this is the correct forum for these types of questions! The ABS light keeps coming on and the engine management light (directly beneath the ABS light) comes on intermittently. ABS seems to work OK and the engine temp seems normal. Also even on motorway journeys I seem to average about 15 MPG. Is this normal fuel consumption? Or would this be a symptom of the engine management malfunctioning? I really appreciate any help.
Old 20 August 1999, 01:51 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Sounds very wrong. Who did you get the car from? If it was one of the bigger importers like Lockyears or Hendrys, they should sort it out for you. If not, then I'd contact Power Engineering in Uxbridge as they know more about STi ECUs than just about anyone (even in Japan). You can reach them on 01895-255699.

Good luck

-= mike =-
Old 20 August 1999, 03:04 PM
Phil T
Scooby Newbie

I got the car from Auto Tecnica in Yorkshire. I've called Power Engineering and they say to bring it in to have it put on their diagnostic system. I've also been advised to disconnect the negative cable from the battery to reset the engine management? I'm not sure wether to do this or not? I'm paranoid about the engine blowing up etc. What should I average mpg on a motorway at about 80. I've been told it should be nearer 25 mpg than 15! How many Sti 5's have been melting pistons and under what conditions? Are they at risk even if they are not being revved over 6,000?
Old 21 August 1999, 10:39 AM
Mike F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Phill, many people on the board have done the ecu reset ! It does nothing detrimental to the chip what so ever except to return it to factory settings (just like switching your computer off !, and telling it to restart after you've just loaded some new software on it ).

any tuning company ,Power etc can set your mind at ease!

mike f
Old 21 August 1999, 11:43 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Question

Excuse my ignorance but is disconnecting the battery negative have the same result on a standard UK Turbo?
Old 24 August 1999, 07:41 PM
Cedric
Scooby Newbie

From wat u described,the ECU will have the fault codes stored in it's memory.(provided u have not disconnected the battery terminals)
So just bring it to a Subaru dealer & the problem can be traced & rectified.
Old 24 August 1999, 09:02 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Cedric, UK dealers will not touch an STi, the only hope is to go to somebody else that has the select monitor, I think PE have one, and maybe Lockyears or Hendry's.
Old 25 August 1999, 02:20 PM
Cedric
Scooby Newbie

Well in that case,you could read the trouble codes by connecting the two diaggnostic connectors under the dash.It's the black ones-not the green ones.It'll make the "Check Engine" light blink out the trouble codes.
The ABS diagnostic connector is a black,six pin-female connector.There's two male probes together with it.Just use any of the male probe & put it into terminal six of the female connector & the ABS light will blink it's trouble.The code 11 is the starting code & is NOT a trouble code.After code 11 is flashed,the following codes are the trouble.
To find out what the trouble codes mean, you can try this site