Notices

MY99 surge/cutout ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 1999, 04:19 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone noticed a rather annoying surge that occurs when backing off the throttle at highish revs followed by a brief cut-out on re-applying the throttle?
Old 23 July 1999, 05:40 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Question

Mm. I've always put this down to driving a turbo car.

Just to clarify..do you mean that when you change gear there is a bit of clutch slip cos the revs don't go away immediately, and when you then engage gear and accelerate there is a bit of lag ?

I've found I can get rid of the lag by using the accelerator halfway into the change i.e. by the time I've engaged gear the engine is accelerating - timing it nicely means that the engine will be "back on boost" at the same time I let the clutch out.

Certainly I find it very hard (well, impossible!) to get smooth changes when driving hard.
Old 24 July 1999, 12:11 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Lee,
I sometimes get a brief surge of power when I lift off the throttle at highish revs. Conversely, I get a momentary flat spot about one second after getting back on the throttle, usually after a gear change.

Its done this from new, so I just though it was a characteristic, but as I use the higher revs more, now that its run-in, it has become more evident. I read somewhere that MY99 has a throttle motor and I'm thinking this could be part of the cause.

My previous car, MY98, did not do this and I think the surge/flat spot occurs too quickly to be turbo related.

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by WESTFIELD (edited 24-07-1999).]
Old 24 July 1999, 11:20 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Lee.

Tend to agree. I find that at high revs, you need to step on the gas pretty damn quick, otherwise it tends to die. Don't remember my MY97 being like this. Though find that most times I can get it right.

Still think the MY99 is the better of the two cars though.
Old 27 July 1999, 07:20 PM
WESTFIELD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the responses, but the lack of specific replies suggests that I may have a unique or rare problem so I've arranged to have the dealer take a look. I'll post the outcome just for the record.