Notices

transmission oil level

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 1999, 08:18 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did a dip stick level check on the transmission fluid of my newly acquired MY97 Impreza turbo and found that it did not even reach the bottom of the dip stick, i.e. it is completely dry. So either the previous owner did not fill it up sufficiently when changing oil or the car "consumes" gear oil, as there is no sign of leakage. Is the latter normal? This is the first time I have to top up gear oil in a car. The manual specifies GL5 gear oil and I can only find GL4 oil in a pinch. Is it good enough as a substitute in topping up? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 06 July 1999, 03:17 PM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

I have just checked the dip stick level on my (brand new - 2 months old) 99 STIV Type R and found it to be completely dry as well. Unfortunately, because there was no oil in it, the 'big end' has gone (great weekend i didn't have) and the engine is (apparently) a write off. There is no oil leakage (that i can see) and the car was serviced only 6 weeks ago (1000 mile service) by my local Subaru garage. The car has only just touched 5000 miles.
Is it really true that STI's drink oil at this rate? or could something else be wrong with the car? I'm not particularly technical and this is apparently about to cost me close to 10,000 GBP for a new engine which i can't afford! Help!
PS - there was no oil warning light on although the garage which has it currently says it does work (i.e. it comes on when you put the ignition on).
Old 06 July 1999, 10:03 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Dave, you have my fullest sympathy. There has been no warning about gear oil consumption that I have come across and there is no warning light either. Providing a dip stick is not good enough, as the owner's manual also didn't specify how often you have to check the level. If your car has been serviced by an authorised dealer and is under warranty, hopefully you can make out a good case for a claim, as it is no apparent fault of yours.
When I tried to buy gear oil for topping up, the sales staff laughed at me, saying the oil only requires changing, not topping up, as there is no such thing as gear oil consumption, so if this is true, this will come as a surprise to the majority of car owners, mechanical aptitude notwithstanding.

Old 07 July 1999, 08:24 AM
david
Scooby Regular

DaveU

Are you talking about transmission fluid or the engine oil?

Where is the dipstick for the transmission fluid on an STi V?
Old 07 July 1999, 08:55 AM
DaveU
Scooby Regular

Sorry - i should have said - it was engine oil.
Old 07 July 1999, 10:27 AM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

I'm with David on this one! Where is the dipstick for the transmission fluid on a WRX?! You've got me all worried now...
Old 07 July 1999, 11:29 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Good grief...*not u mate!*

To find the dipstick - drivers side under the intercooler - there you will find it. Oil level should be between the 2 holes. The rest is elementary.

This car is known to consume gearbox oil, more so because it is an AWD/LSD. Dare I suggest that you check the oil level once every week or fortnightly. Really, I'm surprised your respective dealers did not mention this to you. G/box oil...I use Castrol LSX - seems fine.

Engine oil? Dry? I'd stake my claim from someone! Sorry to hear this Dave.
Old 07 July 1999, 07:17 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Hello Malique ....& Lokokkee ...transmission oil problem ...hmmmm .. do check the oil when the car is at a flat ground. Not when the front is higher then the back.

How smart ... Castrol LSX ... right Malique. Do check the gear oil level often. Subaru gearbox is known to 'drink' oil.