Notices

MY99 Standard - Turbo Boosting

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 1999, 04:13 PM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read many posts on how to boost the WRX turbo either by ECU/rechipping or using standard TAP to restrict airflow to diaphram.

However, nothing conclusive has been found on what the recommended boost pressure and configuration should be.

Can someone please advise how I can safely increase the boost of a MY99 without adding any other mods or ECU change. A friend suggested using a simple TAP and T tube will be sufficient to increase the power. But how about the safety cutoffs etc. Anyone tried electronic boost controllers? How does this compare and what benifits do they have.

Technical advise please!
Old 23 June 1999, 11:13 AM
Colin
Scooby Regular

Seraph,

You could have a look at www.force8.demon.co.uk/impreza. Although the details refer to the UK MY97, it pretty much applies to the MY99 as well (non-STI/WRX that is). It won't answer all your questions, but will give you an idea.
Old 25 June 1999, 07:46 PM
Sonnyrider
Scooby Regular

With reference to Upping the boost with a "Tap".
I have a MY93WRX 15k miles(YES)
Is it possible to do this to it ?
I`ve not had me Scoob for long and I`m still `learning`.

Any info or pages to go to would be appreciated.
8^)

Dave
Old 28 June 1999, 03:16 PM
BPM
Scooby Regular

If you would like the answer please email me since I would rather not be flamed for my responses.There is a very workable solutions available.

Regards

Greg Nikoettos
BPM/AVO
UK/USA Marketing Manager
Old 28 June 1999, 07:05 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

By using electronic boost controller ..u will still need to remove the boost cut for the MY99. Get the fuzzy logic electronic boost controller.

I have fitted many type of electronic boost controller. I find that TRUST Profec is good value for money. It comes with the self learning unit for the wastegate and turbo spooling.

TAP .... 1.15bar. Get in touch with Collin Motorsport ... they have the boost cut remover. Is cheap too.

More money to spend ... get the ECU tunned. I would go this direction.

Old 28 June 1999, 11:01 PM
BPM
Scooby Regular

Question that i have is that why are so many people concerned with increase boost, As soon as you raise your turbo 1psi the temp increases, the timing is altered and you risk detonation. Why not reprogram the entire ECU with a proper system ie Motech Wolf and LINK
so you can control ignition timing , you can raise your RPM, auto tune your fuel curve, , Closed loop function and with adjustable boost mapping as an option.
Why would anyone consider a chip? They are now redundant with no socket from the MY99 on.

Greg Nikolettos
BPM/AVO
UK/USA Marketing Manager

[This message has been edited by BPM (edited 28-06-99).]
Old 29 June 1999, 12:24 PM
Matt S
Scooby Newbie

About the boost cut-off. I may be WAY off here and please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the boost cut-off controlled by a map sensor( manifold absolute pressure)? If so, couldn't you just tap into that hose with a manual boost controller and bleed of some boost before it reaches the sensor? This way, you will still have the cut-off for safety, but you can raise it as high as you want it. Again guys, I may be way off here.