Notices

WRX STi Servicing W. Mids

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 1999, 08:31 PM
JELS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a newbie, having just bought a WRX STi R (1997), can anyone point me to someone who can Service my Impreza?

I live in Halesowen, West Midlands?

Jim
Old 28 April 1999, 09:58 AM
Lucan
Scooby Newbie

Please be aware that by posting a reply to these questions on the bulletin board rather than direct e-mail you could get authorised Subaru dealers into trouble.

[This message has been edited by Lucan (edited 28-04-99).]
Old 29 April 1999, 09:00 PM
Andrew M
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK can't stop official dealers servicing greys as that would fall foul of European legislation on freedom of trade.

However, your 'official' dealer could refuse to supply UK parts (which Subaru UK wouldn't have to honour any part warranty as the parts would not be being used for the vehicle they were intended). I believe my service parts come from Graham Goode.

Alternatively try one of the rally outfits - anyone who runs Group N cars should be able to help. Try Bill Gwynne.

Finally try a 'grey' importer. Hendry's may be a (distant) option. I believe that Global who are linked to the UK Ralliart dealer are somewhere in the Midlands.

Hope that helps

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew M (edited 29-04-99).]
Old 12 June 1999, 10:25 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Jim,

Did you find somewhere is the West Midlands ? I live quite close too and will have a WRX next week !

Cant wait....
Old 12 June 1999, 11:18 PM
Rav
Scooby Newbie

Just note on the grey import servicing bit.

There's a distinction between grey and parallel imports. Parallel imports are from within the 'same' market, ie EC countries, whereas grey imports are from outside this market, ie outside the EC.

Subaru UK can restrict the servicing of grey imports by official dealers, however they must honour warranties issued within the EC. They would be in breach of Articles 85 & 86 if they restricted their dealers from honouring warranties for parallel imports because these cars are technically from the 'same' market and this would constitute an anti-competitive practice.

It should be noted however that any dealer can refuse to service a car if they do not have an obligation to do so, ie they must honour a warranty which has been issued within the EC by the manufacturer but they do not have to service the car outside that warranty if they don't want to (or even sell you parts) but this must be the choice of the dealer and not under instruction of the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer does issue such instructions, it is abusing its dominant position in the market and is therefore pursuing an anti-competitive practice.

Any manufacturer in breach of these Articles can be made subject to a fine amounting to 10% of the company's total revenue. Hefty to say the least.
Old 12 June 1999, 11:18 PM
Rav
Scooby Newbie

Just note on the grey import servicing bit.

There's a distinction between grey and parallel imports. Parallel imports are from within the 'same' market, ie EC countries, whereas grey imports are from outside this market, ie outside the EC.

Subaru UK can restrict the servicing of grey imports by official dealers, however they must honour warranties issued within the EC. They would be in breach of Articles 85 & 86 if they restricted their dealers from honouring warranties for parallel imports because these cars are technically from the 'same' market and this would constitute an anti-competitive practice.

It should be noted however that any dealer can refuse to service a car if they do not have an obligation to do so, ie they must honour a warranty which has been issued within the EC by the manufacturer but they do not have to service the car outside that warranty if they don't want to (or even sell you parts) but this must be the choice of the dealer and not under instruction of the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer does issue such instructions, it is abusing its dominant position in the market and is therefore pursuing an anti-competitive practice.

Any manufacturer in breach of these Articles can be made subject to a fine amounting to 10% of the company's total revenue. Hefty to say the least.