Remapped ECU

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 1999, 03:29 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everybody,
I own a MY98.
I want to have more power achieved by remapping the ECU.
Who is the best supplier who does that and how much does it cost?
Should I install a completely new ECU?
What is the best way to have more power by an electronical change?
Any experiences?

greetings
ric
Old 13 May 1999, 03:42 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

From what I understand the majority of "chips" are actually a bolt-on chip which suppresses the signal of overboost i.e. the ECU thinks there is less boost than there is and raises it more/ keeps it on for longer.

Have heard from scoobysport that engine failures are common.

Have heard from Power Engineering that these devices are crude and don't alter the fuelling/ignition. This could be marketing on their part since they supply a "properly" remapped ECU which changes fuelling/ignition AND boost.

Marketing or not, when the develop the chip for the MY99 they'll be getting my money. It sounds more like the chip I had from BBR on a previous car, I don't like the idea of "pulling the wool over the ECU's eyes" to get more boost.
Old 13 May 1999, 04:33 PM
Ricci
Scooby Newbie

Rally Imprezas mostly run GEMS or Motec Management, Motec are in Banbury
Tel: 44 (0) 1295 680933 GEMS not sure where.
Old 14 May 1999, 07:32 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Sounds very interesting, how much is it ?
Old 14 May 1999, 08:51 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

PE catalogue says 650 + VAT.

David, is this now available for the MY99 ?
Old 16 May 1999, 07:02 PM
malique
Scooby Regular

Motec are damn good too.
Old 17 May 1999, 11:31 AM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I was at Power + t'other week with my MY97 UK Spec. Re-mapped ECU now (+ water injection to keep internal temps down and a trick gadget anyhow) after having had Superchip before. Superchip was fine for around 15k miles until I started fitting Scoobysport boxes, air filters etc which seemed to **** it right off and meant that peak power was right at the top of the rev range. Car now is a bloody beast (cheers Dave ) with 284bhp at 6270 rpm and peak torque of same figure at 3500 rpm. Digital boost gauge/turbo timer works a treat too. All in all a worthwhile visit down South

(do I get the free stickers now Dave - you were out of backings when I was down )
Old 17 May 1999, 04:47 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Dobbo,

How much of the standard exhaust have you replaced with scoobysport items? Your mods to a standard UK car looks the way to go.
Old 17 May 1999, 07:59 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

So basically everyone is against the Superchips conversion because it doesn't alter ignition timing and fuel mixture.
This is for Dobbo. Are you satisfied after all from the Superchips conversion? Is it likely to do harm to the engine?
Like most people I am seeking a bit more power from my MY99.
Old 18 May 1999, 03:07 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

I had a look at the MOTEC and GEMS sites and there's some really cool stuff (if you've got the money !). They're really for "proper" racing cars but a fully electronic dash with loads of warning gizmos and datalogging so you can record your trip to work would be quite a laugh. I don't suppose you'd get much change from 5K though !(that's a real wild stab in the dark btw).

cheers

Andy
Old 18 May 1999, 03:52 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Lads,

Thanks for the interest (at last someone talks to me!)

I only have the scoobysport back box as decided I didn't want to have to chop + change bits if I ever needed an MOT (ie. downpipe).

Superchip worked fine and I never had any chugging, blips, blops or bangs with it. As I said though, it seemed to go right out of whack once I changed the filter/exhaust bits so maybe best to fit to complement mods rather than as a first port of call. Long term if you're blasting the ****e out of the thing every time you get in it then things won't last as long - but then again this could be very many miles down the road. Each to his own after all, it's your car mate.

However what I can definately say is that the re-mapped ECU delivers power better, where you want it, and with more of a kick in the back. Glad I had it done (so far).

Can I PLEASE have the free stickers now Dave??!!
Old 18 May 1999, 04:02 PM
Stuart Malt
Scooby Newbie

Dobbo,
How much was your conversion in total? I like the sound of 284bhp!
Old 18 May 1999, 04:10 PM
malique
Scooby Regular

6 months later I get the answer to chipping

My car is running with a Mines ECU, can't compare with the original ECU as I never had it but I find that the boost, max set at 0.9 bar, is stable, no spikes, fueling/air optimised and good engine response with no noticeable lag.

Thing is, since you can reprogramme the ECU why change it, provided the programmer has the right parameters based on extensive R & D and practical experience.

Otherwise got to Motec.

Electronics
Tested a mate's car fitted with an Apexi super avc-r boost controller - boost very unstable, hunting in the range of 0.7 to 1.0 bar when "trying" to run full boost. Maybe this particular unit was faulty. Have been recommended the ProFec A, yet to try it out - why fit it when ECU is running well?....haven't a clue! *laff*

Don't forget to get an exhaust temp meter if you havent already.
Old 18 May 1999, 05:19 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Dobbo.

I like the sound of this even more. Like you, I dont wish to 'mess about' with the exhaust at each MOT. I already have the scoobysport back box and ramair filter so apart from the water injection, I'm a ECU remap away from 284BHP (give or take)

BUT...the sensible questions are...
What does your insurance company make of all this and, just as important, have your thrown away your Subaru warranty?
Old 19 May 1999, 11:00 AM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, was insured with Kwik Fit (don't laugh) who wanted to put my premium up even though I had no claim in the previous year - so I went to Adrian Flux, cap in hand and admitted all mods, licence endorsements etc, and they gave me a price which was lower than that I'd paid the year before with no mods! Guess I'm just lucky to be an old git.

Dealer had carried out servicing etc when I had Superchip and back box fitted with no quibbles; yet to see their reaction to the water injection set up but chatted with the mechanic there last night who just seemed impressed by it all.

Basically spent a shade over 2k at PE having re-mapped ECU etc. PE don't recommend having the Water Inj kit unless you are going to go further with the mods later. I got it just in case, as it should serve to keep charge temps down and I liked the sound of the kit anyhow Re-map is 690 + VAT I think and water inj is 467 + VAT though you will need to pay extra if you want a separate water bottle (I have a Ford one fitted in mine on 2 specially machined brackets) and a low level indicator. Results will vary from car to car as they map each one individually. I am running at peak 1.42bar by the way.

Old 19 May 1999, 01:06 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Dobbo,

Are you sure that was 1.42 Bar, thats 20.59 psi, and thats a lot of boost. Have you got new head gaskets?
Old 19 May 1999, 03:29 PM
Ruud
Scooby Newbie

Dobbo,

What other changes have you made to your car?
I assume that the standard brakes, standard transmission and standard clutch are not constructed in such a way they can deal with this load of power/torque.

Cheers,
Ruud.
Old 19 May 1999, 05:41 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Is seems Dobbo that you have a lot of questions to answer... ;-)
Here are two more (for anyone to answer).

1. I thought that the ECU was a ROM (Read only memory chip). Is it especially in the Subaru that you are able to reprogram the SAME chip (factory ECU)? (Maybe you can do this also in BMW, but surely not in all makes.)

2. How come it is so expensive to reprogram the chip? You quote a price of 690+VAT! Doesn't it just take a few minutes to do it? Or presumambly you pay for the expertise and the fixed costs involved in purchasing the necessary equipment to reprogram the chip?

Dimitris.
Old 19 May 1999, 07:38 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I'm also interested in the answers to Ruud's question.

On the track, Impreza's on standard suspension and brakes, even the 400+bhp ones, are easy targets.
Old 20 May 1999, 10:43 AM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Agree that once you get going it's difficult to stop as one upgrade begets another. Having now looked carefully at the gauge en route to work, I see that peak is around 1.32 bar - I wore my glasses today

I have Tarox front discs and Mintex 1144s (?) all round, with stainless brake hoses and uprated fluid, strut brace and Eibach lowered springs. 17 inch RL-Rs are en route for Saturday fitting.

I don't use my car on the track anymore(eats too much rubber!), just around town/motorways so have got the set up as I like it - maybe I could do better, maybe not, maybe suspension is next on my list.

If they are (hopefully) tastefully and professionally fitted then they should optimise rather than compromise the car's natural abilities/equipment - these are not Japanese 'tuned to the hilt and sod driveability' mods (I hope!?). Anyway, I like them and am changing cars on 1/9/99 (EVO VI UK spec) so doubt I'd have had enough time to blow it up by then

Yours responsibly

[This message has been edited by Dobbo (edited 20-05-99).]
Old 20 May 1999, 07:27 PM
Big Al
Scooby Newbie

Can anyone tell me where they Hide the ECU on the 95/96 model's.. When I bought the car I was told it had been chipped but was unable to find out which chip. Am seriously looking at having the ECU remapped - will the chip have any adverse affects to this?

Big Al.
Old 20 May 1999, 09:50 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

Al,
ECU is in the passenger footwell. Just lift up the carpet and undo the bolts on the metal shield and you'll find the ecu.
Old 21 May 1999, 11:48 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Dobbo,
arent you afraid of overspeeding the turbine crankshaft by holding 1.32 bar at high revs?
The MY97\98 has a small turbo which runs with very high speeds.

David Power,
what about your pushing the engine by remapping the ECU? Is this reliable and comes with warranty?

ric
Old 21 May 1999, 03:49 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Peak bar is only held for a short period of time and quickly tails off during further acceleration - safety feature? No I'm not worried as if I were I'd never have bothered in the first place. This is why I decided to pay tailored suit money to a reputable tuner and to bin the Mr Byrite superchip. I'm happy and will comment on long term reliability over the Summer. Cheers.