Notices

Free beer offer

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 1999, 06:30 PM
TonyC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this yesterday but no-one replied, perhaps the title was too boring, so this time I've made it more enticing!!

Here is my problem:

The FAQ says about the ECU bug: on early models:

In a low gear at high boost, such as pulling on to a roundabout in 1st or overtaking in 3rd, even a tiny reduction in throttle results in a sudden jerk, far worse than you'd expect from totally releasing the throttle, and enough in some cars to cause the inertia-seatbelts to activate. You'd expect the dump valve to open and to get smooth deceleration from engine braking, but instead you have to be very gentle with the pedal.

Apparently it's better on 1997/8 cars, but still present to an extent."

Is there ANY known cure for this, it's nearly tried to kill me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 months since I've had my MY95. Would a chip change cure this? In my opinion, if you push on a bit, (I intend to use mine for occasional road rallies in standard car class) this could be potentially fatal. The last time it happenned I was accelerating flat in third, went over a crest/bump, and the resulting jolt caused my foot to lift just enough off the throttle that the engine backed off, and the back end stepped (leapt!!) out of line and I nearly took a drystone wall out, very scary.

Any advice.

I hasten to add that I only normally drive in this fashion in the middle of the night on properly organised and sanctioned rallies, I am not a bit of a boy racer (I'm 46)

Tony C
Old 19 May 1999, 07:39 PM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Oi,

I'm dissapointed, where's the free beer then
:-(
Old 20 May 1999, 01:22 AM
bruceh
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Well, the title certainly makes you click on the subject to see the content! I've (just a week or so ago!) got a 95 WRX, and haven't experienced anything like this. Are you talking about a UK model or a WRX?

BTW, I'm just down the road, close to Weston, if you want to use another similar car for comparison purposes to help diagnose this. Email me offline if you want to arrange something.
Old 20 May 1999, 03:20 PM
Mike Shaw
Scooby Regular

This was a problem in the Nissan 200SX I used to have, but it's not something I've experienced in the Impreza (UK 98MY).

I seem to remember it was worst if you lift off at high revs, then hit the throttle again - the sort of thing you do when your bottle goes half way round a bend, which generally resulted in me coming out of the bend much slower, but looking out of my rear quarter window

Presumably it's caused by the wastegate snapping shut then re-opening, something which I believe was at least partially rectified on 97MY onwards.

In the 200SX, I tended to take it as a hint from the car that I'd cocked up that section and if I'd driven it properly everything would've been nice and smooth.

Leather seats tend to aid that approach - they wipe clean ......

Cheers,
Mike