Notices

Help with my Import ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 04:02 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok i am thinking i may have a problem when i come to get some more speed out of my car and as i have an import WRX STi 01 Subaru Impreza fitted with Eifel Prova Concept of Nurburgring ECU.
How the hell am i going to get someone in the UK to remap this baby for me when i put in some mods and possibly more boost.

I am already running well over 300+BHP but not sure on the exact figure as i have not got it into the RR yet but i know i can get a little more as i can replace the front pipe as it looks standard i think and maybe i could replace the center section and this should give me a little more...
Im sure you all know this feeling..

I am hoping for more boost too and i am looking into a catless front pipe and i should at least get 15/20BHP from the front pipe no???.
Can i fit a new front pipe/up pipe without re-mapping the ECU? Or do i have to program the ECU to take this into account and also do i have to do this for every single upgrade i do?

Anyone that knows where i can get support for my ECU i would love to hear from you (other than x ammount of miles away).
If not then i am at a loss...
Shame really as the ECU costs about £600.
The best support i get for my ECU is here:
http://www.jprova.co.jp/index.html
And its all in japanese, ive translated some stuff to read and emailed them but no reply...

Thanks everyone.

[Edited by DJ WATTS - 10/5/2003 4:04:12 AM]
Old 10 May 2003, 07:57 AM
Joth
Scooby Regular

I *think* your up-pipe is already catless,. I believe all of the JDM's are catless up pipe, but i can surely be wrong and someone will correct that. My JDM Forester came with only a single cat, the downpipe one. What is the current exhaust you have on, stock?

[Edited by Joth - 10/5/2003 7:59:56 AM]
Old 10 May 2003, 09:08 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

As far as i can see i just have a stainless back box as the rest of the system does not look stainless steel metal like the backbox.

Here is a pic of my backbox:

And here is a website that describes the backbox:

http://www.rallispec.com/product-eng_4.htm

STi Sport Muffler Section
T304 stainless steel sport muffler w/ 120mm tip diameter. Cherry red STi logo on tip. Free flowing straight-through muffler design and larger diameter (65mm) piping reduces backpressure and enhances the deep exhaust tones. Lightweight design is 2kg lighter than the original component. Polished for good looks. Complete with new gasket.
RST-4400 MY02-04 WRX -- $788

As the rest of the system is standard i am wanting to replace the up pipe, down pipe and possibly center section.

Does anyone know how many cats i have on my car?
I heard they were 2 cats on my car. One at the up pipe and one at the center section.
Now my question is if i change the up pipe to a non cat version like on scoobysport will it still pass its MOT with the one at the center section?
If so then i could possibly look into the idea of a performance center cat section to complete it.

Also is it worth getting the scoobysport down pipe and up pipe?
Will they provide a good increase in BHP by using these together?I also heard the downpipe will bring on the turbo about 1000rpm sooner.
Will this also make the car better responsive or by bringing it on earlier lose out on the later rpm's cuz of this?

As i have the import WRX Sti my01, my gear ratio is closer than UK so this 1000rpm sooner from the downpipe could have a large impact to my car.
Can anyone clarify the situation for me?

Also i have seen some manifolds in the USA that you can get to fit the WRX that are very pricey and look awesome but are they worth it?

Thanks again people!!

[Edited by DJ WATTS - 10/5/2003 9:11:20 AM]
Old 05 October 2003, 11:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

The Prova ECU should be tuneable by ECUTEK I would imagine, as it is a std box, with re-written maps.

Boost is raised, sometimes red line even lowered, and Prova tunes for matched exhausts - usually Fujitsubo (who, afaik, make most of the STi after market stuff, and Prova's). Results when matched with other exhausts can be mixed (for example, when the Prova ECU was matched with an HKS on one of my m8's cars, it was 5hite - gutless. But it sounded good Whacked a basic Fujitsubo system on and it flew!!).

IMHO, get it remapped - any of the ECUTEK gurus on the BBS should be able to "look in" and know from there if tweaks are possible or not.

HTH
Old 05 October 2003, 12:13 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

I am a bit confused when you say the prova ECU is a standard item on the import Subaru WRX STi with re written maps?

They sell these direct from there website for 96,000YEN...>

A translation of the text but not 100% acurate:

The super sport ECU pursued the sport * potential of the turbo * engine thoroughly with the long term test, tuning increased finely. The pole where difference which rode is recognized from the instantaneous it is low as for the sharp response and torque rise from the medium speed and preponderant power * feeling in the high rotary limits, it is the item which cannot miss in order to enjoy the enjoyment of sport * driving in the higher-order origin.

* Price is price of all normal trade-ins. * It becomes difference setting depending upon each car grade * year type * mission type. In regard to verification, please inquire this conformity model summary.

So in short would it be worth me upgrading the up pipe and downpipe and would i have to re-map the ECU if i got these?
Also can anyone shed any light about the downpipe bringing on the turbo 1000rpm sooner?
Is this good or bad for me and what are the pro's n con's of this?
Like i said if the turbo comes on sooner do i miss out later in the rpm range?

Thanks everyone!!