Notices

import worries

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2003, 08:05 PM
erinyes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im planning on buying a '93 WRX this weekend but keep reading all the horror stories, mainly on here and am not pertrifed about buying it lol. the only mods as far as i can tell is that it has a pipercros induction kit and exhaust, but a normal ugly lookin 4inch one, not sure how far back it goes. am i askin for trouble or it is not as much of a risk as im thinking it is, anyone on here got a similar car and like to share their stories with me?please set my mind at rest, or tell me otherwise!

james
Old 02 October 2003, 09:45 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a similar car mate.

I don't think you'll have much to worry about on a WRX (providing ECU, boost is standard?. WRX's don't seem to suffer badly IMO, STI's are more fragile.

First thing I'd reccomend is a ScoobyEcu remap module. This will enable the safe use of UK fuel for your engine, plus you'll get the bonus of extra performance too. They are circa £70 which is the best money you'll spend on the car.

Don't worry too much mate, it's good to be cautious, but any car can go wrong, check the normal used car issues, treat the car with respect, service it regularly(with the right oil), and keep your eye on it. If you are worried at this stage I'm sure you are sensible enough to be a caring owner

You've probably read about det, boost spikes, MAF faliures, big end faliures, etc, etc?. It can all look a bit daunting when you read some of these posts. Remember that these issues relate to different models, years, etc.
Old 02 October 2003, 09:52 PM
erinyes
Scooby Regular

thanks alot for the info, really need it to settle my mind, i have NEVER owned a car and not cared for it, even a 903cc uno,(less said the better). what is the best oil to use? on my last turbo'd car i used 15/50 mobil 1, also, what is this part for 70 pounds, sounds cheap for what it is, where can i get one and does it have to b pro fitted? really need this to use as ammo on the missus lol
james
Old 02 October 2003, 10:22 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Castrol 10/60 oil.

ScoobyEcu, this is a module which when fitted to the ECU will change the way the ECU controls things such as boost level, ignition timing, etc. It's mainly down to our poor quality fuel, the remap takes this into account and makes certain parameters operate at a safe level.

Do a search for scoobyecu using the search button, have a read up. You are lucky with this, map changes on later cars is many hundreds of pounds.
Old 02 October 2003, 10:37 PM
new boy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

sorry to add my twopenneth but check this thread
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=255974

re the ecu etc
ads
Old 03 October 2003, 07:51 AM
erinyes
Scooby Regular

thats great jameswrx thanks alot! i read that thread yestaday new boy, was very impressed with both yours, and other peoples results. greatly appreciated, gettin ready to go to bank now to pick up the cash, wish me luck!

james