Notices

Any tuners out there - need help

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 03:44 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to do your own mapping, forget the ECUTek ECU - you can't touch the thing. A Link ECU is a common choice, as it gets you 90% of the way there and can be 'played with at home' as well as being rather cheaper than the MoTeC Boost control is a bit pants, though, if you want my opinion.

I'd add to your list an uprated fuel pump and a FPR too - the standard ones are both are a bit poo when you start pushing things, the FPR having the added benefit of being able to up the effective injector size, of course... Again, Lateral are good for both those things.

[Edited by nom - 10/1/2003 3:45:03 PM]
Old 10 February 2003, 02:49 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Link boost control is a bit of an art. I'm certainly not very good at it but the real problem, I think, is in the ways it deals with spool-up - it 'pre-sets' the wastegate to the point at which full spool would be achieved (rather than keeping it shut & opening it when it needs to), which rather leaves it open to wastegate creep during spool.
It is, however, very dependant on the turbo - one turbo I have used the Link worked fantasitically with, with very similar response in each gear to boot; my current turbo (a larger one) it just doesn't deal with at all well (1 bar at 3,400rpm in 5th, but only by 4,300rpm in 3rd from what I remember - a Dawes MBC reduces this spool-point hugely, which is why I am blaming the Link ).
However, there are lots of options for boost control if the Link doesn't happen to do it very well with your application, and they don't all need to be that expensive

[Edited by nom - 10/2/2003 2:51:51 PM]
Old 01 October 2003, 12:26 PM
-rocky-
Scooby Regular

As a relative newbie to the board i have noticed that there appears to be a hundred different opinions when tech questions are asked.

For the past 4 years i have owned an mr2 turbo and to know as much as most about about performance mods for it. I have just ordered myself a type R sti 5. which is on its way from japan but to be honest dont know too much about the tuning side of it. I am hoping to get some parts ordered for it before it arrives but need a little help, so if you can answer the following questions or give your opioins i would appreciate it.

1. what turbo does it have fitted?

2. What sort of BHP is the stock turbo good for?

3. What sort of bhp/size are the stock injectors good for?

4. what sort of bhp are the stock internals good for.

I have about 5k for go faster parts and was thinking of the following depending on what answers i get to the above.

GT25 turbo

full exhaust

FMIC

air filter

motec

bigger injectors.

Does anyone have any opinions on the motec and gt25 turbo are there better suited options in the scooby world? I am just going on what we liked in the mr2 world.

thanks for your time

rocky

Old 01 October 2003, 02:54 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scooby ownership

1 Probably VF28 (though I have seen 5s with VF24s)

2 Harvey has has 370 odd out of a VF28, so he's a good person to ask but It's working quite hard at that I'd say

3 Stock injectors are 440s, so doing the normal equation, about 350bhp, but you will probably get a bit more out of them but they'll be working hard

4 Anyone's guess, depends on how you go about your mods. Do it wrong and they won't be good for 300bhp. Avoid det at all costs and keep the balance of air and fuel right and you should be ok.
People have run over 400 on stock internals, but they've done it the right way and even so, the internals may not last indefinately.

On the mods,

First thing is, you'll need to run it on SUL or Optimax and you'd be wise to run a booster too.

first mod you want is a knocklink, then filter and exhaust and ECU remap. Motec good but pricey. I'd go for ECUTek if I were you.

Bigger turbo, FMIC and injectors are all a good idea if you want major power but also put fuel pump on your shopping list as injectors are pretty pointless otherwise. I'd say TD05 is a good turbo to go for and cheap or 05/06 if you want mega horses.

What price are the GT25s by the way?
Hope that helps. I'm sure others will add more

Cheers

Rich
Old 01 October 2003, 03:23 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a Garrett GT Series Hybrid on mine.. with external wastegate..

Supplied by Lateral Performance..

He has a lot of experience with the GT Series..

www.lateralperformance.com

Old 01 October 2003, 09:52 PM
-rocky-
Scooby Regular

cheers for the info so far,

just one point you mentioned that the stock injectors are 440cc this is one of the reaasons i mentioned them, i had heard that on the type R and maybe a few others that they where closer to 500cc.

can anyone confirm this??

thanks
Old 02 October 2003, 11:37 AM
-rocky-
Scooby Regular

one other point the link ECU that was mentioned can this be mapped to take bigger injectors or will i need something a little more advanced.

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2003, 12:43 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

yes it can
Old 02 October 2003, 01:54 PM
-rocky-
Scooby Regular

fantastic stuff this sounds about just perfect for what i want. Does anyone know a rough guide price for the supply fit and mapping of a link ECU?

It was mentioned above that the boost controll on the link isnt particularly good, can anyone elaborate a little on this.

thanks again
Old 02 October 2003, 11:39 PM
-rocky-
Scooby Regular

any ideas on a rough price for supply and fit of the link ecu?

thanks
Old 03 October 2003, 12:57 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I think that it is somewhere in the region of £1500 inc VAT, Mapping etc...
Old 03 October 2003, 08:34 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

look on www.brdevelopments.com

Cheers

Rich