Notices

I am just seeing red.

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 1999, 09:28 PM
osullivan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Received a phone call from my dealer yesterday giving me all of 20 minutes to decide what colour I wanted my MY99. Having thinking about silver and mica blue for so long and with a lot of imput from the BBS I decided on ............................red.
Yes seen a few red ones recently and I think they look great.
Only thing is someone said to me that red faids.
Is it true.
if so hoe badly.
Thanks for any imput.

Neil OSullivan
Old 14 April 1999, 09:58 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

I had a red car before (no scooby).

Afther 7 years of driving (always outside, no garage)

I have to let him repaint, because the roof and the board over the engine (sorry I don't know how you call that), whas almost licht red !

I asked the painter, how is this possible ?
He said to me that all the Hard colours, like red, yellow , Blue,etc , have the same problem with the sun.

He advised me never buy a red car again, and when you do , don't put im in the bright sun the hole day.

Put your new car in a good polish, It will always help a bit !

Sorry, abouth this, but when the car is new, red is the most beautiful colour of all, but afther a few years ......... !!!!
Old 14 April 1999, 10:00 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Neill,

When you like to change, try it !

You won't regret it !

sorry , that I'm negative !
Old 14 April 1999, 11:15 PM
Jack Macfarlane
Scooby Regular

I just sold my red MY97 (19 months old) and the paint was as good as day one. No fading and average amount of polishing. Then again it is Scotland and the sun tends not to be a problem
Old 14 April 1999, 11:30 PM
Dobbo
Scooby Regular

Well I live in Manchester where we get an average 1.5 hours sun per annum and have no probs with colour fade; only complaint is that the twit who sprayed the bonnet scoop prior to delivery (bought vehicle from new) had obviously just run out of that code of paint so used some spare red lying around on the workshop floor to finish off )
Old 14 April 1999, 11:44 PM
Agentm
Scooby Regular

Had the chance of red or silver, went for silver as if you check colours out on the cars-
Turbo scoop and front and back bumper ARE a different colour to the bodywork. It is slight but it is one of those things that once you notice it, it can irritate.It seems to show more on the red than the other colours (even my friends better half commented and she is not usually bothered!)
I think it is to do with base coat used on plastic materials.
Old 15 April 1999, 10:02 AM
TonyC
Scooby Newbie

I had a red toyota, faded like a *******, T cut never helped, never get another one, white looks excellent, and keeps cool in summer
Old 15 April 1999, 10:13 AM
DavidP
Scooby Regular

I just changed my 95N red 5dr for a new red 5 dr and parked side by side they were pretty close in colour. What did change colour over the 3+ years however was the air scoop and the bonnet grilles. They ended up quite a bit darker than the car, enough for people to point it out. It only seemed to be those bits though - the bumbers seemed fine. This could be because (although I never checked - it's just an afterthought) that the scoop & grilles are actually red plastic whilst the bumpers are painted.
For what it's worth I think 5 door looks great in red.
Old 15 April 1999, 11:09 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

DavidP.

Have to agree with you. Although Red is not the best colour for the 4dr (Blue, Silver, Green are better) IMHO Red is THE colour for the 5dr
Old 15 April 1999, 05:18 PM
grief
Scooby Regular

Interesting views on best colours for different cars. I guess it's a personal preference/personality thing.

Can we assume that the decision on the colour of the car on the front of the MY99 brochure (DBM) was made by someone quite conservative ? Perhaps IM wanted the car to look, dare I say it, more mature/smarter rather than a trendy youthful red ?

For the MY98 model year, who would still pick the reddish blue over the DBM if it was available ? (given the alleged popularity of that colour).

I must be a boring old fart then, as I ended up with a 5-door in DBM. Haven't seen another on the roads, since 2 Jan 99, though.
Old 16 April 1999, 10:00 AM
Tarik Mackmood
Scooby Newbie

I have a red impreza T wagon. Red is not a problem relating to oxidisation. BUT

It chips easy and the primer underneath is white shows up very quickly.

I don't know if this is true but you always hear rumours about police playing snooker with car colours hmmm?

On the plus side. Red is supposed to be the safest colour on the road it stands out and is noticeable to other motorists ( + theives I suppose) and stands out in monochromatic/street light.

Downside of metallic paints is that they become statically charged and thus attract dirt/dust. Secondly repair paint considerations are usually higher due to the complexities of blending in metallic paint and the two pack clear laquer process. However they are harder and have a certain sophistication.

Its your choice

regards Tarik
Old 16 April 1999, 02:18 PM
JHall
Scooby Regular

Well, my MY96 4dr Turbo is red, and I love it to bits, only I think it gets too dirty too quickly living in Aberdeen. At least it looks like it's getting used, but it also looks gorgious after a proper clean and polish.
Interestingly enough, I have only seen a couple of other red saloons in town - one lowered Turbo with private plate, side bump strips, and gold wheels (bad I think on a red car), one Gl (which is horrid), and an S-plate Sport of my mates, who has just changed it for a green R-plate Turbo saloon.
There are a few red Estate/hatchbacks (?!), but I have seen more scooby turbos in all the other colours in this city - and there are a lot of them - than I have in red.
Blue seems to be a popular colour, with numerous McRae's, Terzo's, 22B's, and a couple of STi's.
I'm very happy to be one of the more rarer colours in the city.

Old 16 April 1999, 10:00 PM
richardl
Scooby Newbie

Well, red was what I was offered without an infinite wait, so it's clearly the best colour!

The plastic bits, scoop in particular, look a darker colour under sodium streetlamps, but then every scooby I've looked at closely seems to have the same 'feature'.

I had a red Cavalier before the scooby (I know, but it was my first year in business), and when getting a parking ding fixed I asked about colour-matching difficulties. The Vauxhall repair guy told me that 'modern' baked paint finishes didn't fade, and that the paint for repairs to a 5yr old car is the same as for a new one. Certainly the daylight colour match was very good, although I fancied that the new paint was slightly darker under the sodium lamps. Either way, the car came up like new when cleaned and polished, so I'm hoping the scooby continues to look good as it gets about 100 times as much care as the Cavalier ever did.

Cheers
R